Does pollen freezing work with cucurbits?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi all
Well, of this years mystery seeds, one (possibly two) have come up. And that has left me with a question

The one that has definitely come up (surprisingly, given that this is the fifth time I've tried to plant that seed and it never imbibed before) appears to be some sort of luffa (differing primarily in that the seed is only about half the size of a "normal" luffa seed) So that is this year's test plant.

The problem obviously is that I just have one of it and if it is a luffa is is presumably monecious. And I have had problems before with cucurbits not making fruit due to the female flowers not showing up until the males were totally exhausted.

Since I'd prefer to not cross it (so I can see what kind of luffa it is) I was wondering if it is possible to freeze the male pollen when it comes out and then re-apply it when the female flowers make their presence known. I know people do that with corn, but I don't know if it works with cucurbits.

Does anyone out there have experience with this?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never tried it; but if you don't get a male flower & female flower on the same day, it can't hurt to try.

Latest posts