Does Rhubarb Grow Wild?

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We moved into our new house last year, and ever since we've been finding rhubarb EVERYWHERE! There are a couple of obvious garden plots around some remaining grape vines and such, but we find them all over the woods in places that don't seem typical for the previous owners to have had a garden. We know that nobody has gardened on this property for a bunch of years (at least 5, but probably 10 or more), but the locations seem so random.

TheBrumstead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Break a stem. If it's solid, it's rhubarb. If it's hollow, it's burdock. My guess is it's burdock. We have a ton of it here and it's a pain in the butt to get rid of.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I second the burdock guess- if you don't dig it up, you will know soon enough...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a little story I related to TEG community last year about this time: Neighbor's Burdock (click).

I posted a picture there -- you can see how much the lower leaves of that burdock plant looks like rhubarb.

The neighbor is still going on about his rhubarb, and there are some. Meanwhile, he leaves all these burdock plants growing! You cannot easily tell the difference without breaking and smelling the stems. (There are edible burdock species so I imagine that it is even possible to taste them - don't know.)

(I am still speaking parenthetically about the neighbor's burdock. I really, really wish he'd identify them and kill them :(.)

By the way, there is good info on that thread from last year from Pat on killing them before they cause great mischief.

Steve

TheBrumstead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Here is a little story I related to TEG community last year about this time: Neighbor's Burdock (click).

I posted a picture there -- you can see how much the lower leaves of that burdock plant looks like rhubarb.

The neighbor is still going on about his rhubarb, and there are some. Meanwhile, he leaves all these burdock plants growing! You cannot easily tell the difference without breaking and smelling the stems. (There are edible burdock species so I imagine that it is even possible to taste them - don't know.)

(I am still speaking parenthetically about the neighbor's burdock. I really, really wish he'd identify them and kill them :(.)

By the way, there is good info on that thread from last year from Pat on killing them before they cause great mischief.

Steve
I was so excited the first spring after we bought our house... rhubarb all over the edge of the woods! Um no... I was so disappointed to find out it was burdock. We've kept it at the edge of the woods (mostly) by mowing. And wouldn't you know... I planted three rhubarb crowns this year and not a one grew.

Jacobtaylar

Sprout
Reaction score
Here in this case if the soil is not fruitful for the gardening than you will have to go for the hydroponics or aquaponics gardening. As in this kind of methods you will not have to depend upon the natural soil and the setup will give you a good garden for sure.

jakesebastin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
As per my opinion and advice the hydroponics is the bets comparing to the aquaponics too. Here the medium will not be measure problem there so not need to worry for growing.

Latest posts