Does this look familiar

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
NASA is going to grow lettuce in space:

"Astronauts longing for fresh lettuce in orbit will soon have the chance to grow it for themselves: NASA is sending a mini-farm into space.'

Theirs:

Mine:

What took them so long? I have been doing this for years and years.

jackb

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
jackb, they plan to grow lettuce IN SPACE. Your lettuce takes up SPACE (and such a wise use of that space).

I remember many, many years ago requesting and receiving cabbage seeds for my classroom that were grown and harvested in space, so it is not like they've never done something like this before.

Then there is the difference in cost. :epHow much do you figure a lettuce leaf grown in space would cost when a wrench runs into the thousands of dollars? You get far more food for far less money.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
My systems were built from restaurant tubs and small pumps from Harbor Freight for about thirty dollars a unit. I can imagine what they spent on theirs. :duc

jackb

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now that you mention it; I did see NASA hit my blog shortly after that little fracus I had with the USDA. Also, they will be growing a variety called Outredgeous, one that I grew and did a post on. Small world is it not?
jackb

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
These organizations are big affairs, Jackb.

I saw a headline about the US space program moving away from a cooperative relationship with Russia and wondered how that was going to work. This lettuce may not just involve nutrition and intrigue but diplomacy!! It's all about being nimble, I'm sure.

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
If NASA is planning any extended voyages they really should be thinking hydroponics. It is not practical to send tons of soil into space. Anyway, they have lots of money to spend.

jackb

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think they owe you a "thank you" or an apology for stealing your ideas, Jack.
Or they could at least put you on their payroll as a consultant. Geez!