Donations to Charity of your choice

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In our area, there are now quite a few TV and radio adds saying that they will donate X dollars to a charity of your choice by car dealers, roofers, etc. to lure you in to buy from them. These adds leaves one with the impression that you will get a tax deduction if you buy from them as evidenced by a couple of people that I talked to when they stated that they will buy the product advertised and get a tax deduction. So , in the spirit of full disclosure ... according to the IRS code - the business making the donation is the one receiving the tax deduction NOT YOU ! The charity still gets the donation money and you still get the good feeling for a donation to your favorite charity. If you want or need the tax deduction, donate YOURSELF !

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess ... oh, I've always known ... that the nonprofit can (in)directly benefit the donors but ...

would "need" have to do with dropping from one tax bracket to another? Another need other than for the soul?

During the advent of the digital world, one could donate high-tech equipment (of their choice) to Idaho institutes of education. Taking a percent off both state income tax and federal income tax you could actually save on taxes ... kinda big time, I guess.

The intended result didn't happen soon enuf. In college statistics, I was faced with using mechanical school calculators with arms! They were bolted to tables but they sure wouldn't have been convenient to carry home.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Personally, I've always believed that if charity is done for recognition, or for personal reward, it is not really charity. That being said... I've never liked the "we'll donate for you" campaigns. They are a good PR stunt, with the company in question taking social & financial credit for the generosity of others. But the bottom line is that regardless of the motives behind such acts, they still serve good purposes. We should all live in a world where callous, selfish people find it in their self-interest to do good things for others.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We should all live in a world where callous, selfish people find it in their self-interest to do good things for others.
Ya know, I had to think about that for a minute ...

Might add "... and not just because they fear 'others' may take resources from selfish people if those others believe there are few or no choices."

The American revolution was generated by that sort of situation. Tea party ... the Dutch merchants were only too happy to supply Boston with duty-free tea. Couldn't.

Many of those whose interests aligned with the British, packed up and moved to Halifax. [They are still there (uelac.org) ;).] Wonder what they have in their tea caddy these days ...

;) Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Recently, the Rescue Mission in Portland, Ore. has been running a TV add asking for $9 / month ... these proceeds will provide shelter, a hot shower, a clean bed, 3 square meals per day for a month for each homeless person. Meanwhile , the humane society is asking for $19 per month to rescue a dog from unbelievable cruelty by their owner, to provide housing and food for one dog per month. Do the math ......... :th :hu

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Duhhh ! how did I miss that since we are endlessly bombarded by the high quality of dog and cat food on endless commercials. :idunno

Latest posts