Don't Care About Snow I Bought Pansie

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am over the snow. I was coming from brunch with friends when I passed Rosedale nursery. I stopped in and they had flats of pansey. I prefer Johnie Jump ups because they seem to take spring heat better, but beggars can't be choosers Window boxes are being planted today. :weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:ya:ya:ya

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
upload_2017-3-19_13-21-27.png

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I should plant some pansy seed every year, then don't.

They were easy to start. Grew fairly well in my greenhouse but with that early bloom schedule, couldn't really compete with purchased plants the first season. Where they could compete was choice of colors - like if you grew this one (LINK)! If that link works, Stokes has 138 varieties! It's almost unimaginable to me! If I had any landscaping skills, knowledge of creative uses of colors. Wow.

The second year my pansies really were as nice as any that I could buy but there would be fewer of them. The problem for them was surviving a winter.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are pretty! Are you putting anything in the window boxes with them?
I succumbed to a yellow primrose to keep in my kitchen window. Looks cheery and smells nice and it can stick it's tongue out at the piles of snow remaining outside. :plbb

I'm over snow too and the seasons kicksledding is past and not returning until next November. So I'm ready to garden!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Damn, Rosedale already HAS its pansies? I thought they'd delay with the weather. I gotta get down there and see if they have anything interesting as soon as I have a free day (tomorrow is probably a wash, Fedex screwed up on Friday so I probably have to stay home and wait for them in the hope that the other half of my package order comes in.).

I guess that's means I'll need to head to Mt. Kisco soon and check the nursery there for their pansies before they run out (that one is the only place I know of when I can find small flowered pansies in red.)

And if DEFINITELY means I have to get the seed planted; with luck, the plantlets will be just big enough to survive outside once it becomes warm enough to put them there.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Got it. I should have expected as much; the really interesting ones usually don't show up til mid season, or even late (my star last year didn't come into my hands until mid JUNE).

Funny thing about Rosedale, they actually could be said to have ALL the major kinds of pansies, since the tree zone in the back is INFESTED with wild pansy (Viola arvensis). Also birdvetch for some reason(I know it is a commonish weed, but we are usually more on the hairy vetch side of the weedy vetch zone (apart from my yard, but then again I grow odd vetches in places ON PURPOSE, for variety.)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had some yellow pansies planted in the ground once. Those darn things bloomed for 6 month straight! Got so tired of them that I pulled them out!

Mary

Latest posts