1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Featured Thread - Mints.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Drooping Elderberry

Discussion in 'Trees & Shrubs' started by bobm, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Aug 1, 2017
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

I have 2 Black Lace Elderberries. I planted them 3 years ago about 30 feet apart, same sun/shade hours per day. Up to yesterday, they were the picture of health, about 8 feet tall, and loaded with a huge crop of elderberries. A week ago on Saturday morning, I watered all of my garden since we had a garden tour that Sunday and so that the garden would look fresh. We are now at the beginning of a heat wave, so last Sunday morning, I deep watered all of my plants. Yesterday it reached 99* , it is supposed to reach 107* by Thursday. This morning one of the elderberry bushes has about half of it's smaller branches drooping badly and their leaved are turning crispy. I can't see any insect or any other infestation evidense or dammage whatsoever. The other elderberry shows no signs of stress or illness. :idunno

2. Aug 1, 2017
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Are there gophers in your neighborhood?

valley ranch likes this.
  3. Aug 2, 2017
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

There are NO gophers. We have been fighting moles for years, however there is no evidence of them within 20 feet of eather elderberry.

4. Aug 2, 2017
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    Greetings bob, This may or may not apply: If the Elderberry was somewhat shaded, they, Elderberry, develop broader leaves, when exposed to greater heat and light they suffer from loss of moisture and wilt because the broader leaves are also thinner. I cleared away bushes from an Elderberry and that exposed the plant to more direct sun and had that result. This may not be the case with your plants but something related could be possible/or not~

5. Aug 2, 2017
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

The non droopy one may have a better root system that helped it deal with the high temps better. :hu

Nyboy likes this.
  6. Aug 2, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

I have often purchased and planted pairs of trees and shrubs. Hoping for a mirror type look, never happens. They never grow the same.

7. Aug 2, 2017
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

Sorry, but no ! I have a Japanese maple tree that I planted last year about 12 feet away. It grew all of 6 inches +/- this past year and is now 3 1/2 feet tall. So there is a possibility of minimal additional shading onto the elderberry.
    Thistle, possible... My backyard was a former swamp ... 20 years ago , the builder / developer brought in tons of riff raff rocks up to 6" in diameter and spread about a foot thick in our back yard , then covered them with dirt ( each truck load seems to be different type of soil ). The area of the non-affected elderberry has more riff raff rock , deaper rock by 4" and covered with less dirt, 2" vs. 6". At planting time for all of my Japanese Maple trees, Crabapples, blueberry bushes, heathers, etc. uncluding the 2 elderberries , I dug holes about 18" in diameter , removed the rock fill, dug through the 4" of hardpan , filled in the holes with a mixture of the soil , purchased top soil, and some compost.

:idunno

8. Aug 9, 2017
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

About years ago, our city planted deciduous trees in the center divider on Main St. leading out of town. No irrigation was installed. We haven't had ANY rain for 49 days now which is highly unusual. Yesterday, I drove past them on my way out of town and noticed that all of these trees look quite stressed and the leaves are turning into their fall colors. The trees on the side of the road are all nice and green. By the way, as to my elderberry ... fully 1/3 of it's branches are still drooping, leaves dry, berries dried out. The rest of the branches and leaves are doing fine and loaded with berries. The other elderberry is doing great and is loaded with berries.