Dr's orders eat bananas

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
After 3 days of a pounding head ache and dizzy spells I ended up in er hooked to IV fluids. I was very dehydrated, The Dr. on discharge said to drink lots of fluids and eat bananas. The bananas kind of surpized me, Dr said you lose a lot of potassium though sweat, bananas are a good way to replace. From now on anytime I do something that makes me sweat heavy I am going to eat a banana, wish all Dr orders where so easy to follow. If your sweating in the garden snack on a banana.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Probably potassium, Nyboy!

I don't even play a doctor on teevee but understand that we lose potassium quickly. Muscles need potassium, probably along with everything else.

Just to cover my bets: Here is a list of high & low potassium foods. So, if one shouldn't be eating too much potassium, there are choices.

University of California, Davis - Potassium in the diet (link)

By the way, the juices are especially high in potassium. It is water-soluble - that's why it is always on its way out of us!

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Nyboy, When you were in the er, did the Dr. order a diabetes test for you ? Several years ago, I had similar situation as you... I found out that I had come down with diabetes. :hu I knew about potassium requirements of the body and to eat bananas, as well as salt ,when one sweats a lot. However, bananas also have a high amount of sugars which could give one a diabetes HIGH . I found out the hard way. Just saying ! :caf

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep... I got given the 'eat bananas' Dr's orders too. It was from muscle issues in my chest. May be I'm outside working so much when I can I wear myself down and out and don't get enough fluids either. You better listen to him, its really been helping me.

HOWEVER.... this is the time of year to get lots of avacados CHEAP. They have 4 x the potassium that bananas do, and with all out tomotoes, I'm eating a lot of guacamole! And I don't get bored with just bananas all the time.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad it wasn't anything more serious, Nyboy. And Steve, our computer link guy for whatever ails you, thoughtfully provided you (and us) with a list of foods to eat more of. Thanks Steve! :frow Take care of yourself!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The more reading I do on bananas the more they seem like a prefect food. My grandmother always looked 30 years younger then she was ,people had a hard time believing she was my grandmom. She ate bananas every day and swore by oil of olay lol.

Latest posts