drying lily buds for use in chinese cooking?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, anyone happen to have a recipe for chinese-style dried lily buds? I know they are the dried buds of daylilies (the wild type not the foofy cultivars) but darned if I know what you do to make them come out right.

But I will put my appetite for hot-and-sour soup right up there with anyone else's, and would love a way of making my own dried lily buds for it if someone happens to know :)

Pat

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I asked a friend who owns one of the best Szechuan restaurants in Oakland Chinatown and they said just put them on newspaper in a warm dry place for a week.

After that store them in a dry airtight container, if you choose to keep them. Pluck the stems off and shred with your fingers before using them.

Good luck!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
I asked a friend who owns one of the best Szechuan restaurants in Oakland Chinatown and they said just put them on newspaper in a warm dry place for a week.

After that store them in a dry airtight container, if you choose to keep them. Pluck the stems off and shred with your fingers before using them.

Good luck!
Oh, excellent! Thank you VERY much, and your friend too! Not to be greedy <g> but I do not suppose he offered any advice as to when to pick them (green, or the day they're about to open, or what)?

I am definitely going to try it this weekend :)

With much much appreciation,

Pat

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Quoted from the email. . .

"...i guess the best would be the day before they're about to open. Pick them in the early morning and then just refrigerate for use later that day or dry them. Don't remove the stems until you are about to use them.

Here's a recipe that's really good and one we use at the restaurant, try it or have your friend try and let me know what you think. Or come in and try it. It's not an original recipe but still pretty good.

2 cups daylily buds
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1/3 cup almond slivers
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
1 Tbs. Rice wine vinegar
1 Tbs. Tamari or soy sauce
1 Tbs. Water
2 cups cooked brown rice

Steam daylily buds for 10-15 minutes, until
tender. In a wok or heavy skillet, heat the oil
over a high heat until very hot. Add the almond
slivers, saut until browned. Quickly remove
the almonds from the pan, set aside. Turn heat
down to medium. Add grated ginger and cook 1
to 2 minutes. Add vinegar, tamari, and water.
Stir to mix. Toss in daylily buds. Serve over hot
rice, topped with sauted almonds.
"

Good luck Pat. I might try this recipe this weekend seeing I'm not that big of a fan of hot and sour soup. ;)

Latest posts