DW's flower gardens...lot's of pics!!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DW has been very busy now that the weather has improved. Here are some of her hanging baskets she planted:

And around the gazebo:

Here is a kidney shaped island I made for her for Mothers Day a few years ago. One of those voices things ;)

Her Mum is coming back yet again. I don't know how old it is, about 4 years old I think:

In case you're wondering, Squeekers was JB's first ever pet of her own. She was a Black Bear hamster. I still remember the day DW found Squeekers curled up on her little wheel. She looked like she was sleeping, but she had died in the night. JB cried, and DW and I cried a little with and for her. She understands that death is a part of life, but it still hurts when you loose a pet you loved; I don't care who you are. We buried Squeekers in the island and I made her a cedar casket and grave marker. The other stone marker is in remembrence of DW's step father who passed away two years ago.

And finally, her rose garden:

Once everything gets going, she will have explosions of color everywhere!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just LOVELY! There are so many little details that make it special. Something to be really proud of!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a lovely oasis she has created! Can't wait to see pics in a month or two- when everything is full! Love the wheelbarrow- great idea with the liner inside it...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Monty, she has been busy! She has so many small gardens going on and they are all done. They are gonna look lovely when they fill in. I like how she did them. They all seem special.

Is there a reason you put the plants in liners instead of planting directly into those wooden planters? Is it to prevent the wood from rotting or to keep from drying out?

Mary

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments folks! We have worked very hard to make the yard as nice as can be while we wait to get started on building the house. Cane, she has tiny little things that she puts everywhere. It's hard to see in the pic of the island but in front of Squeekers marker is a tiny white cherub. She doesn't have all of her "decorations" out yet.

Lesa, somewhere around the 4th of July it will really be going gangbusters! She posted pictures on facebook a few years ago and the mother of one of her friends thought we visited a park and wanted to know where it was...LOL! The wheelbarrow was my idea. When I made the island for her, we planted the fruitless cherry on one end to provide shade for the flowers. I thought the other end looked bare and the island lopsided. I had some scrap wood from another project so I made a wheel barrow. Why a wheel barrow? I have no idea. It's just what popped into my head when I saw the wood. The liner is just a utility tub from Lowes that happened to fit perfectly. I drilled a bunch of holes in it for drainage and it's been a planter ever since.

Mary, when I built the gazebo, DW couldn't decide if she wanted ballusters or solid walls. So, I figured, what the heck and did both. It looked good, but the windows above the solid walls looked bare. I didn't have time or funds to order cyprus for good planters so I bought some treated wood to make planters out of, but knew they would never hold up to being filled with dirt. So, I designed them to hold that size planter. It works out well since she is able to plant whatever she wants and move the shade lovers around during the hot days. She can also empty each one in the fall and start with fresh potting mix every spring. It was her idea to hang baskets over the balluster walls. That really did the trick! When the gazebo is cleaned up and everything is growing, there is no place I would rather sit and have coffee in the morning.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beautiful place monty. I love that you and your wife both enjoy gardening. I also love how neat/groomed your place is. I have a nice place, but it's always on the scruffy side. dh isn't into yard work & I spend my time putting out fires rather than feeling like i'm caught up

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that's been one of my issues, too. My DH is not the least interested in gardening or landscaping or flower gardens. :(