Eating Well on a Budget

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The only thing that I remember my mother canning were peaches. She especially liked them and, I think, resisted becoming too much of a farm wife. An example, she said that her mother told her to never learn how to milk a cow. I know Grandma Goldie was speaking from experience. Perhaps this was your mother's thinking also, @SPedigrees .

I was once told by a person at Cooperative Extension that the reason her job was funded 100 years ago was because of important food safety concerns. You know, @Country Homesteader , it wouldn't surprise me if your Coop Ext office has a food preservation program that you could benefit from. BTW, Country', the LDS genealogical people tell me that I have ancestors who migrated first from the Great Britain and then into what is now Lunenburg County, just next door to you there in Crewe. This was in just about 1700 and if you give me some time, I just might remember their names :D. Good Gravy, at 5 generation/century, if your families arrived on the Eastern Seaboard at 300 years plus, those early colonists are almost all ancestors.

Steve
That's funny, but my mom was a generation removed from the farm. My grandmother (her mother) grew up on a large dairy farm in Wisconsin, but whether or not she ever learned to milk a cow, I couldn't say. I know in later years the farm was mostly mechanized, but not sure when milking machines came on the market. My grandma was pretty domestic though, loved to cook and sew, and taught me to do embroidery. But she had her own career as a teacher in a one-room school house too before she married my grandfather and moved east.

That is very interesting about the Coop Ext and their food preservation safety program.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A colorful and satisfying meal - grilled purple sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and corns with butter on the top, garlic, dried mushrooms, veggies and chicken soup
13600.jpg

Latest posts