eggs as fertalizer?????

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw a little article that said to put a raw egg in the bottom of a pot before adding the soil/plants and it will add wonderful nutrients to the soil.
I'm thinking.. that it will eventually rot enough to rupture and stink something awful.

BUT... it got me thinking... CAN eggs be used as fertilizer???
Maybe mixed well with water?? Thinned down to a 'raw egg tea'???

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eggs are great fertilizer. Expensive though. They contain sulfur, nitrogen, calcium as well as micros. Little 12:12:12 just as effective much cheaper.....

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
So what do you do with them???
Surely you don't just bury them whole?? I mean... I would HATE to hit one with a trowel 4 months later :sick

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, you can bury a fish down there, a rat or a few mice, a good bullfrog would work. Ground hamburger would work though I'd stay away from T-bone, it would take too many years for that bone to go away. There are a whole lot of things you can use, but just because you can does not mean you should.

If you try that with a house plant I'd be concerned about it smelling. If you do that outside and don't dig it up for a few weeks (yes break the egg first) it should not smell.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
dig small hole, put in bottom, break it, cover. but for the life of me, why not eat it or feed it to the dog or cat or worms or ...

i'm sorry to say that Mom will not save egg shells for me, i think they do rather well in the worm bins after i've crushed them a bit. she just doesn't like to deal with them and throws them away. i keep any from boiled eggs or if i cook. i just put them in some water for a while and then rinse them off so they don't stink as they dry. after they are dry i crush them with a flat ended stick i picked up in the hills of TN when i was down there.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Raw milk mixed with water is also great fertilizer and a whole lot easier than a rotten egg. You have a cow.....

Latest posts