eggs in coffee?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm reading this book and in passing it is mentioned that one of characters is making coffee and drops a couple of eggs on top of the grounds and then breaks the shells and proceeds to brew coffee.....

Is this a real thing????

o_O

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes.

But, I just tried it with the whites. I'm not sure about using yolks, doesn't sound so good.

It didn't work all that well for me.

Steve

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had to come check this out and would love to see more input on this. I have NEVER heard of this!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember on a summer road trip to grandma and grandpas, we stopped at my moms brothers house for a quick visit. It was before dawn and he made coffee. I remember him breaking an egg on top of the grounds, shell and all. (It was a percolator )

Back in the car my dad ridiculed the practice.
Dad and Uncle Jim weren't exactly buddies so it didn't surprise me that he thought it was a waste of egg.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember on a summer road trip to grandma and grandpas, we stopped at my moms brothers house for a quick visit. It was before dawn and he made coffee. I remember him breaking an egg on top of the grounds, shell and all. (It was a percolator )

Back in the car my dad ridiculed the practice.
Dad and Uncle Jim weren't exactly buddies so it didn't surprise me that he thought it was a waste of egg.
I cannot imagine that it would do nothing more than congeal on top of the coffee grinds.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I remember seeing shells in coffee maker, I think it's for people who make coffee paying as much attention to it as if they were making soup, with that good enough in their mind.
Putting eggs, shells or peanut butter in coffee, doesn't sound like they have an understanding of what coffee is.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
There are those who put chicory in coffee.

Who was it who: When at an inn asked for the cook to come out from the kitchen. He then asked if there was chicory in the kitchen, and was told: Of course, Bring it to me. when the chicory was brought out he asked: Is there any more chicory in the kitchen, No he was told, are you sure, Yes, we have no more.
Good, now go make me a cup of coffee!

Water can be added to coffee, and skill but nothing else, until it is in the hands of he who will drink it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Farm Knowledge: A Complete Manual of Successful Farming, vol. 4, page 197 "Boiled coffee. Use 1 cup of ground coffee, 1 cup of cold water, 6 cups of boiling water, and 1 egg white. Beat the egg, add 1/2 cup of cold water and mix with coffee. Put this in the coffeepot, pour on the boiling water and stir thoroughly. Boil 3 minutes, then add the remaining 1/2 cup of cold water. Cold water is heavier than hot water, and sinks carrying the grounds. This as well as the egg helps to clear the coffee. Set in a warm place 5 or 10 minutes, and serve."

I think this was exactly the recipe I followed. I guess it was when I was between drip coffee pots. I remember having trouble with a glass one I had before buying the little metal job.

@valley ranch , you will be pleased to note that the author considered chicory "a fraud."

I have added and subtracted just about everything to & from coffee over the years even tho I usually drink it black. Chicory was one way I was trying to cut down on caffeine. I just cannot "go" straight decaf but I've tried reducing the caffeine in various ways. Chicory was okay with me - both purchased as a blend and added after self-processing. We had a TEG member who moved to New Orleans and loved chicory coffee. I don't suppose I would go that far. It is plenty bitter and has a "cereal" taste to me. Cereal is alright I guess altho I developed no liking for Postum (wheat & molasses) when I was a kid.

digitS'

Latest posts