ELDERBERRY CORDIAL SYRUP ~ Help against colds etc. this winter!!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bet you have wild Elderberry where you are Beth!

Oh wow...that don't make sense? Everywhere but Texas!

Oh I see, this one is called Red Elderberry
SARA2.png

here is European Black Elderberry
SANIN2.png

Rocky Mountain Elder
SARAM4.png

Ahhhh...here is one called American Black Elderberry
SANIC4.png

and the Blue Elderberry also known as Mexican Elder
SANIC5.png

Elderberry.jpg

elderberry-main_Full.jpg

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, the Texas counties are sparse, but mine is happily included. It's a beautiful plant. I'll have to see if someone nearby has one. I know i haven't seen any here. How exciting!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, they make awfully good wine, too ;).

About the best in all my efforts to make a non-grape wine . . . and it was a real simple recipe. I wouldn't boil the berries first but that syrup recipe would be a step in that direction.

The elder blossoms can also be used for wine, as I understand it. It is interesting that the stems are toxic.

There is a very large elderberry growing on a forested hillside just a few yards from one of my gardens. However, this "tree" is in so much shade it makes very few berries. Another large bush that I drive past almost daily in the fruiting season is so exposed that the berries shrivel and do not develop properly. These 2 plants are a source of "consternation" to me :rolleyes: and that's about it.

I really should vary my patterns of movement during mid-summer so that I could harvest a 5 gallon bucket of the berries and get with the elderberry wine making program :p!!

Steve

edited to say: "I" wouldn't boil the berries first.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a recipe for "dried" elderberry and raisin wine on this San Antonio winemakers website: *San Antonio Regional Wine Guild* Scroll down near the bottom of the page to find the recipe. It didn't win but there's evidence that Texans are making use of elderberries - albeit, dried.

I suppose I could buy elderberries . . . . . :rolleyes:

Interesting that Jack Keller was in this competition. I knew that he was in Texas but that's about it. Jack has one of the most extensive wine making websites around :cool:.

Steve

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I have made elderberry wine a long time ago & it was very good ---------eventually..!! Actually about 5 years after I made it! :old :old :old :lol:
In medieval times they used to add elderberries to red wine grapes in France so it was stronger & kept better when exported to England.

Elderflower champagne is also worth trying but can be a bit dangerous as it is very explosive -- you need the right type of bottle & fastening otherwise you will be covered in the stuff.
I suggest always opening the bottles outside....................!! :lol: :gig :lol: :gig and keeping a towel handy! :lol:

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
our woods are chuck full elderberries ..I have yet to pick any the birds love them too!

they are so pretty to watch turn each year from the bright bright red to that deep purple above

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I make elderflower mead, and it is awesome. Next year when they are in season I'm going to try making an elderflower-flavored jellyroll filled with strawberry cream. Don't like the berries so much, but the flowers taste great. I cheat and get the syrup pre-made from Ikea sometimes though.

Latest posts