Elderberry cuttings

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so I've been dying for some elderberry plants to use as permaculture and 'free' chicken food. No one around here sells it and it's expensive to buy a plant from catalog/internet nurseries. Anyone wanna send me a couple cuttings?

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Here, an Elderberry volunteer, started by the grato on the left. You should get hold of some Elderberries and plant, they grow very fast.

Attachments

• IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 249

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 2 "Black Lace" Elderberry bushes in my back yard. I probably can find a few dryed out elderberries on the ground, but right now we are having a storm so too wet now. The bushes will go dormant sometime in late Dec. here, so I could take a few cuttings then if you are interested in that type of elderberry. :)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
As long as it's safe for my girls and I can make elderberry syrup I'll take whatever variety

It finlly stopped raining... so I whent out and gathered about 100 very ripe just dropped on the ground Black Lace elderberries. I spread them out on a paper towel to dry. If you or anyone else want some of these, just PM me and I will mail them to you when the berries are totally dry. Or, if you want cuttings , I can send you some when I prune the bushes in late Dec. or Jan. . :)

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So i definitely just plopped some seeds into the same peat pellets that i put everything else and didn't look for seed starting info..... found out they need to have scarification AND stratification so i feel like a dolt and had to start over... the web page said to use acid but I'm hoping my handy little nail file worked. Fingers crossed!

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well no luck on the elderberry front. Now I'm finding ones that say not to transplant them into the ground till they're 6-8 months old! It'll be winter again by then! So looks like I'm scrapping the elder for this year and start them in the fall probably direct seeding them amongst the blueberries like I was planning to do here in a couple weeks if they had started. If anyone has a better idea I'm all ears!

Latest posts