ELDERFLOWER Champagne & an extra -- Elderflower Fritters!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! ELDERFLOWER CHAMPAGNE

I love this but you have to be careful to use suitable bottles as the pressure is unbelievable! :ep

I never EVER open them indoors........................!!!!!! :lol: :gig :gig

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipe...ngstall/elderflower-champagne-recipe_p_1.html

All the elders are in bloom around me. If only the rain would stop for the flowers to dry I could pick them -- they need to be dry & newly opened that day. They say pick around midday.......!!

Once bottled they need to be kept in a coolish place -- variable temperatures are not a good idea.......!!It can get explosive! :tongue

ALSO try ELDERFLOWER FRITTERS. :drool

Pick the whole heads & shake thoroughly to make sure there are no bugs on them. DON'T WASH !
Make a light batter with flour, whipped egg-white & fizzy chilled water, Hold the flower head by the stem & dunk in the batter & fry in hot deep vegetable oil until golden brown. Drain & dredge with powdered sugar. They are delicious -- my grandmother used to make them for me.....Mmmm!

Hope you enjoy them! :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow ELDERFLOWER EXTRAS !!!!! :frow

I had just posted the stuff above when what did I find in my inbox but this:-

http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/

This is a blog which is very dear to me as it sums up a certain aspect of the best of the England that I love & treasure. I subcribe to it because it always cheers me up. You should try it too -- Especially if you love food as they are great economical cooks & it is full of good tips about how to cut down on your bills while still living a good life.

I hope they will become part of your life too! :love

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

That first link's recipe looks so easy; it is almost too easy.

I do have a question. Here in the desert southwest we have the Mexican Elder. Can this type of elder be used or is there a specific elderberry that needs to be utilized?

I think this may be another new addition needed for my garden.

Cheers,

Ron

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi Greensage :frow

Our common Elderberry is Sambucus nigra & that is what we use. I've found a link to an Irish site but it's the right species of elder & there are lots of illustrations that will help you recognise it.

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1089.html

The Mexican Elder is called Sambucus Mexicana

http://www.elderberries.com/2008/04/12/mexican-elder-notes/

From what I gathered from these sights I think you could make it using the Mexican Elder. If you explore that sight there are recipes on there. Maybe they taste a little different -- I just don't know the answer to that.......!! :idunno

I hope this helps......?

GOOD LUCK. Let me know how it turns out. :happy_flower

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi Reinbeau :frow
Ann,
It's my pleasure! I love researching things -- always have ever since I was a child I've spent my time in libraries of one kind or another. Now with the internet through my little laptop I can poke around a lot more easily. You just have to learn how to ask it questions.

I come across a lot of things by chance of course & sometimes I play games with some sites -- to get more info out of them. I find blogs very interesting because people list their favourite other blogs & those have led me to some very interesting subjects & people.

How are your shingles? I hope you are on the mend! :hugs

Can one hijack one's own topic Madame Moderator................!? ;) :lol: :gig :gig

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, you may hijack your own thread, my dear! :gig The shingles have calmed down, I'm still down a bit, but I'll survive! :)

My mother was just saying the other day she's on the hunt for elderberry blossoms, she wants to make a facial toner with them, it's supposed to be good for mature skin, so we'll be scouring the roadsides in our travels, scissors at the ready, to snip a few as we find them - not all, just a few!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ooooh Reinbeau! :frow

I could do with that cream........! :hit :old Could you ask her if I could have the recipe.......Please. We are surrounded here by a sea of elderflowers & blackberry canes & of course NETTLES..............!!

I have a beautiful golden leaved elder in the garden -- it has much more finely cut leaves but never produces fruit. It is like sunshine in the spring when it first comes into leaf.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I will ask mom - as a matter of fact, I'll help her post it here, she's one of our newer members, Yarbwitch, but I don't think she'll post unless I coax her!