Elephant Ears?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hope I haven't lost these.

Planted left over bulbs in a container on back deck this past spring. They were second in growth of the ten or so I planted.

Here is how they looked 3 weeks ago

DSCF05652.jpg

Last Sat night our temp went down to 27f.

Here is how they looked by Monday

DSCF0591.jpg

I finished my greenhouse Sunday and moved them inside, today I cut the wilted stems and leaves off.

DSCF0592.jpg

I was gonna leave them potted and inside this winter. Does anyone have any experience with this type of a situation.

The next question is, will the ones I have planted outside, be OK if I dig the out now and let them hibernate inside?

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Elephant Ear would prefer to never 'hibernate'. I used to grow them in South Texas and they would often get hit hard, but they would never really 'hibernate' like a regular bulb.

I think in Missouri if you leave them out they will perish? Is that right? So I would go get them out of the ground and then pot them up. With the greenhouse, once it is full and warm and humid, they should just take off and grow really huge leaves. Might just have to make them permanent residents!

Ron :bouquet

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the ones in the pot will be fine. the ones in the ground probably will not if it gets too cold for too long there. mine get killed back to the ground each year and grow to about 7-8 feet tall in one season. but it doesnt get too too cold here.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I plan on digging up the ones planted outside but had no idea it would get that cold this early.

Kinda reminded me of when I was stationed in N/Dakota.

The ones I need to dig up should be easy with all the rain we've had lately.

Thanks for the advice, I'll just leave the potted ones be, and dig the others out.

THANX RICH

Latest posts