English Walnut trees for the North?

Angie n Maine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I recently received a plant magazine and they advertised an English Walnut tree zoned for areas 4 and up. I've never heard of this before, I know black walnuts can be planted up here, but all the mess it doesn't seem worth it. The trees are $23 each and delivered "barefoot". Does it seem worth it or has anyone heard of English Walnuts being able to grow up here?? i would love to have one.

I believe I'm technically zone 5 (there's a little peak in Maine that plant magazines zone as 5 and I'm in that part) but wouldn't risk planting anything not zoned for zone 4.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
a quick google found this (an they are talking specifically about the hardier varieties of english walnut):

"The walnuts grown in Ontario can stand -30 C and colder during the middle of winter, but a cold spell of -20 C in March could cause serious dieback. Late spring frosts in April or early May of -3 C could cause tip dieback and seriously reduce the crop which forms inside the tip buds. Due to the fickle nature of the tree, production can be variable."
(http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache...t.htm+english+walnut&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca)

if that is any help.

It's a lot harder to pus trees beyond their comfort zone than other plants, unfortunately, sine they're hard to protect and regrow losses so slowly.

Be aware that walnuts will mildly poison the soil all around them, affecting many neighboring plants and even to some extent the grass.

Pat

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The thing about bareroot walnuts is, they are mostly grafted. Read the fine print to see if this walnut is guaranteed to be replaced if it doesn't grow. Most walnuts and a few other trees are specifically excluded from guarantees, because they are persnickety and rarely tolerate being transplanted.

I live in zone 6a, bought two walnuts last year zoned for 5, and both are a couple of little dead sticks in the ground, despite being carefully planted in sheltered spots with lots of leafmold. I don't think I would try a bareroot again, or even a grafted nut tree--if I can find some own-root walnuts in pots, I would try those maybe.

One of my co-workers planted a whole bunch of walnuts on his property with the idea that picking them and smashing them open, then packaging and selling them, could be a home-based business for his kids to run as a hobby. Not a single tree grew out of, like, 15. I mean, didn't even sprout, which was my experience also.

Angie n Maine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:( I think I will pass on trying walnuts then. I don't think $23+ is worth it for a stick. Bummer.

Latest posts