Every Vine Dies Help

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spring has finally come to country house. Big disappointment with driveway urns. I have three 5 foot cement urns at beginning of my driveway. I want them really nice because first thing you see. They have a drain hole I filled with bagged miracle grow contain mix with bagged cow manure. In center is planted a hydrangea tree. I want a perennial vine growing down the outside of urn. No vine survives the winter, The hydrangea do which really frustrate me. I have tried countless clematis, trumpet vine both red and yellow flower last year thinking indesuckable vinca. Vinca flowering everywhere here yet no sign in urns. What cant I over winter a vine :he:he:he:he:he:he

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
You could use a buried Heater Tape on thermostat ~ there'ed be some cost ~ but ```

You'd have to run juice our ~ buried in PVC ~ to the pots ~ if you have Year round electric ~ that should take care of it ~ you could set it to keep it above freezing ```

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So your hydrangeas overwinter in the urns fine?
That's great!
I would just use an annual vine as Murphysranch suggested. Bacopa, allyssum, calibrachoa, varigated vinca (as an annual), lysimachia is a great one and often overwinters in containers here.

You could even try a small shrub that drapes over the edge of the pot. Like a euonymous fortunei, Harlequin". It has a variegated green and white leaf, hardy in zone 5.

I think an annual is superior to a perennial vine anyway when you're going through winter. Pull the annuals and let the container look clean until next season. Vines looks so bedraggled and trashy in the winter, all stringy and leafless ....
No I'm not opinionated.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, these are helpful.

:)

I just spent 45 minutes looking at variegated Vinca Major, Bacopa and Calibrachoa!

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have never been able to overwinter a hydrangea, but find it impossible to kill or fully remove a vine. We put straw on on the pots we want to overwinter it works sometimes, sometimes not.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, you can see my orange calibrachoa on my avatar! Don't feel bad, mine didn't overwinter either and I have mild winters. Or maybe I just pulled it to early because like Thistle says, they can look scraggly. ;)

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
whoever told you clematis for above ground pot was crocked...

they like being in the cool ground and well mulched. we have ours all pretty thickly mulched and even then we may lose one every few years. the rabbits and deer will eat them at times (certain ones more than others).

virginia creeper seems indestructable, but i don't wish that upon anyone... not much into vining plants here. wild grapes are bad enough, creeper is worse, poison ivy, nuff said...

just a few beans on the fence is what i'm doing with those.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
whoever told you clematis for above ground pot was crocked...

they like being in the cool ground and well mulched. we have ours all pretty thickly mulched and even then we may lose one every few years. the rabbits and deer will eat them at times (certain ones more than others).

virginia creeper seems indestructable, but i don't wish that upon anyone... not much into vining plants here. wild grapes are bad enough, creeper is worse, poison ivy, nuff said...

just a few beans on the fence is what i'm doing with those.
I’ve had a clematis in a pot for several years now. In fact I moved it to a different pot and location and also planted another one with it. It does well.

Mary

Latest posts