Experiment: Red Dirt & Chicken Poo Tea

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year my beans and corn were streaked with yellow. I put Ironite on them and they greened right up. @majorcatfish followed what I did, then found out that Ironite was some sort of leftover waste from a manufacturing process. :\

So I gave it some thought, we are on sugar sand, pure sand without a lot of plant type nutrition that makes vegetables grow. All around us is red dirt, chocked full of iron ore type rocks. I had read that the dirt is red from the broken down iron particles. Hmmmmm....... So I figured that what I needed was some red dirt. We found a likely spot and got a bucket full of red dirt. I sprinkled it over the corn and the beans. Since corn is a heavy feeder and needs nitrogen, I put some chicken poo in a bucket and filled with water. I let it soak over night. I poured my water sprinkler can about a fourth full and topped with water. I poured it down the corn row, refilling as necessary. Then it rained 2 inches and soaked it good.

The corn has perked right up and is looking greener already. Whether it is the red dirt or the chicken poo tea or both, I don't know, but it looks like it is working. The beans got the red dirt only. The butterbeans are looking better, the Thai long beans are still a little yellow looking, maybe they need more red dirt.

I also gave the tomatoes and squash chicken poo tea. Most of the tomatoes are growing well, some are not. Maybe they just need some chicken butt juice.:gigWe'll see how it goes.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The nitrogen/sulfur mix is ideal.

Any color clay in sand is a great thing. Sand has no nutrient holding capacity at all.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes the best soils have a mixture of sand for drainage and clay for all kinds of minerals and other nutrients. in most places if you have clay you are unlikely to have bad mineral deficiencies, but soils analysis are always a great tool, especially when they are free like here in Arkansas. Silt is not a bad thing either. And of course decayed, rotten, composted organic matter is extremely valuable.

Sand is really bad about nutrients leaching out. Monte could probably explain it better than me, but a lot of the nutrients like minerals are held by electric forces that the clay particles have but sand does not. Don't be afraid to mix a lot of clay in there, with all that sand if you mix it well it should not set up too badly. And of course add all kinds of organic material that can rot, decay, and compost. Over time that stuff disappears so you have to keep adding it but I think the benefit from it is as much the texture of the soil it gives you as any nutrients it adds.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, try this simple way to do a soil analysis. take a mason jar with top & a sample of your dirt, about 1/4-1/2 cup depending on the size of the jar. fill that jar with water & shake the jar up well. let the jar sit for some time & then you should be able to see the layers of different soils/dirt/sand/organic matter & clay. if you take the total measure of the sample & then the measure of each of the layers you should be able to tell what your 'dirt' is made of.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sugar sand NEEDS HELP to build soil ! Keep the tree cutting crew VARY HAPPY with some ice water, cool drinks, garden produce and a pork chop or two ( bribery ) so that they keep bringing mountains of free wood chips to your plantation. ;)