Fall Garden Question?????

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just wondering, those of you who do fall gardens like broccolli, cabbage, etc.

Do you start from seed? If so when do you start your seed for fall planting? In a greenhouse? Or direct sow?

Do you buy plants? If so where do you get the plants?

I have started Kale, Spinach, Mustard, and Turnip Greens by direct sow seeds. I would like to do more next year.

Nancy

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started the seeds in pots and let a bed rest a little before a plant them

I am going to keep going right through the winter this year with cold frames so I will keep starting hardy plants and keep planting them

I do not see many fall vegetable starts in stores or certianly not like you see them in the spring and summer

it seems to me folks would want to sell to fall gardeners :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started my cabbage and broccoli from seed in Mid-July. Your county extension agent can probably help you with when you should start, but I'd suspect it is too late for you this year to go with seeds.

Two days ago, I found some cabbage and broccoli sets for transplanting at a local gardening store called Chicken Holler. Your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government, should be able to help you find some near you.

In addition to some on your list, I just planted or will plant this week by direct sow, lettuce, carrots, beets, leeks, peas, chard, pak choi, and radishes. Next month, I'll start garlic from cloves.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have not started my fall garden (other then direct sowing about 9 heads of lettuce and a few carrots to see if they germinate!?).

I can not seem to find what I need available at any store... I am going to try one last nursery to get a couple fall plants, and TRY to find some started onions bulbs.

Good luck!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

In the UK a lot of companies sell starter plants for autumn planting & by looking around you can get quite a variety. There seems to be a better selection than ever this year because the younger Brits seem to have suddenly embraced vegetable growing & chicken keeping. I have been so surprised by the change of heart. You now have to go on a waiting list to get a chance at an allotment & their are now schemes for older people to share their large & now underused vegetable gardens with younger keen gardeners who don't have gardens -- they share the produce & the work. So there's hope for me in the future..........................!!! :lol:

:rose Hattie :rose

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If your weather is not too hot direct seeding can be better than transplanting that way plants don't go through transplant shock. I so both but struggle with the heat of direct sowing. So I also sow into peat pot and put them in partial shade and then they don't dry out so fast.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I did all of mine from seed, carrots, turnips, beets, did the broccoli and cauliflower too but one of my young chickens squeezed through the gate and went to town in that part of the garden.

I did order some onions sets for fall planting though as well as the garlic.