Fall in the garden

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This morning I cleaned up my plots at our neighborhood garden. This spring I posted that this was likely going to be our last year in the space due to the property being developed. We're still waiting to hear from the owners to see when they're planning on building, so I suppose it's a possibility that my merry band of urban gardeners will return next year.

Investment in inner city neighborhoods is a thing I support and ultimately helps keep cities strong, but I do think we need gardens too. Gentrification is a tricky thing. In any case, I'm still quite thankful for the years we've had in the space.

Herron Morton Community Garden, Indianapolis, IN
November 2018
IMG_2822.jpeg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like a nice, well-maintained community garden... sorry to hear that you might be losing it. Do you have a backup plan?

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's always been a rotating group of gardeners; we started the project in 2011 and there were 4 of us that were there the whole run. It's been a great project but it's not really feasible that the 'gardeners' will stay together. We don't have a back up at present as there really aren't any undeveloped lots in the area.

There are several other community gardens in Indy though and I may try one of those out. My yard is tiny but I know the tiny spots of full sun and will likely be able to grow some beans so I can still participate in Russ' bean network which I've found really rewarding.

Thanks!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Michael, I have been a community gardener. Sometimes the community can be frustrating; usually it's rewarding and fun.

Is traveling outside the urban area a possibility? My yard is only the size of a city lot but I have made use of others' yards and fields for years. I was surprised how many people were interested in my gardening. Most of the land in the exurbs has little to no use. That's not surprising, just drive around and see.

Finding these places with willing property owners having available ground and water was easy and mostly just involved me mentioning my wants to everyone who seemed to have time to listen.

Best of Luck in 2019!

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Sorry! Gosh, I wish we lived closer, bc I would gladly accept help for garden space. :hugs Maybe you could post this on FB or some other site and find somebody rural who has the same thought. I Know that Indy sits surrounded by rural space. Good luck!!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been a part of several community gardens over the years, with mixed results. One was very well run, with a great garden community; but it was also 15 miles away, which eventually became impractical. Another (in City Heights, San Diego) was a huge, growing part of the community, in a swath through the middle of town that had been razed for a future highway expansion. I had a part in reaching out to the local Asian community, which eventually occupied the majority of that garden. Unfortunately, that was also a high crime area... I had my entire corn crop stripped overnight, the day before I intended to harvest. When my children were forced to watch a gang beat down just outside the fence, I abandoned my plots & never came back. I've gardened solo ever since.

Is traveling outside the urban area a possibility? My yard is only the size of a city lot but I have made use of others' yards and fields for years. I was surprised how many people were interested in my gardening. Most of the land in the exurbs has little to no use. That's not surprising, just drive around and see.

Finding these places with willing property owners having available ground and water was easy and mostly just involved me mentioning my wants to everyone who seemed to have time to listen.

Best of Luck in 2019!

Steve
Ditto. I've been an "OPP" gardener (on Other People's Property) for most of my adult life - including the present. Although I have a fairly large suburban lot, the majority of my garden is on a friend's rural property, 6 miles away. There I can grow the space hogs & large plantings that I don't have room for at home, which helps to keep me in veggies year round, and gives me room for trials & breeding experiments. The owners appreciate our company, and the fresh veggies we give them throughout the summer... we appreciate the great latitude they have given us to garden when & where we choose (within reason), and their dogs & cats keeping the pests in check. It is a wonderful relationship that has lasted 13 years.

In past years, I've gardened behind a factory where I worked (they liked having eyes on the property after hours); in a utility easement that had a BMX track (in exchange for picking up after their races); and in a vacant field on a military base (in exchange for mowing the remainder of the field). All of these gardens had water provided. As @digitS' stated, I've never had difficulty finding a location, if I was willing to drive a little & offer the property owner something in exchange as a "win-win".

@Michael Lusk , while there may not be vacant lots in your area, there may be property owners which would allow you to have a garden on their property. This might be elderly people who are now unable to garden themselves, or absentee property owners, who might be happy to allow you to garden in exchange for property upkeep. Perhaps put out a feeler to a local realtor, expressing your interest, and what service(s) you might be able to offer in exchange. You might also be able to garden on public property; I would suggest checking local schools or colleges, especially those which might have Ag programs (a school in my area even has their own greenhouse). Put up "looking for garden space" notices in churches, bulletin boards, and garden centers... I almost guarantee you will get responses. Once you have found a location, just be sure to work out all the ground rules up front (such as hours, parking, noise, off-limits areas, use of water, etc.) to avoid any potential misunderstandings. Yeah, gardens really need Ground rules. :D

I hope you are able to find somewhere to garden, fresh home-grown veggies are a hard thing to give up, once you've grown used to them. If nothing else - and if your residence accommodates it - you could garden in a few large pots, so you could at least grow something. Used plastic barrels, cut in half (neatly!) are usually UV treated & far more economical than large pots.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
elderly people who are now unable to garden themselves ... Once you have found a location, just be sure to work out all the ground rules up front (such as hours, parking, noise, off-limits areas, use of water, etc.) to avoid any potential misunderstandings. Yeah, gardens really need Ground rules
Yes, Ground rules. One of mine was boundaries. I don't mean for keeping the property owners out. I mean, "what am I gonna do for them." My answer is "a qualified nothing."

Should be that every other house would welcome free garden work. I'll mow the grass around my garden. I don't prune the trees or bushes. I stay outta the owners' yard! I'll run their sprinklers if they are away on vacation but ... only while I'm there on my schedule. My most important job for them is to have an attractive garden to see from their yard and windows.

Yes. Older people, one couple who had 5 kids and had a big garden. All grown and moved, with the parents wanting a much smaller garden.

Steve, who pays for the water?

That could be a real concern in this part of the world however, we have irrigation districts here. Property owners pay for water based on acreage, whether they use it or not. "Overage" could be a problem but has never happened where I now have a garden. Too much of the acreage is fallow ground.

At another location, a separate residence once stood on the 4 lots comprising the property. Community water but two meters. I paid the water department and they notified me of the bill by email.

Easy Peasy

Steve

Latest posts