Family Hobbies

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread on family hobbies, I'll start off with a couple of ours. My hubby comes from a family that loved to work with wood and it has passed down from generation to generation.
Hubby didn't start turning until after he retired but he turned some lovely pieces, I have a few but most have been sold. Unfortunately arthritis has taken it's toll and he doesn't do much anymore. Here's a few, I did manage to snatch a lamp similar to the one below :).
burl_vase_4749.jpg fiddleback_maple_vase_4737.jpg
Burl Vase...............................................................Fiddleback Maple Vase

DSCN0449.JPG fiddleback_maple_vase_4733.jpg
Fiddleback Maple Vase,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Fiddleback Maple Vase

DSCN1446.JPG DSCN1325.JPG
Maple Burl....................................................Maple Burl

fiddleback_maple_bowl_4734.jpg
Fiddleback Maple

#2 son is a wood carver, I only have a picture of one of his carvings in my photo album, not the one he won the Canadian fish carving championship with one year but it's not too shabby either, every bit of it is carved out of wood.
Scan.jpeg

I'm sure you guys have some hidden talents tucked away, can we see them, please, pretty please. Me I just play in the dirt :(.

Annette

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Simply beautiful!!! What talent! I wish someone in our family had that bent...we don't have many artists or craftsmen in our family.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love the burl vase :love:love:love if memory serves right a burl is formed from a virus in the tree ? Both my grandmother and mother painted. My mother use to tell me how she wanted nothing more then to go to art school after high school, but no money. I wish I inherited her talent.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom does whimsy really well. you can see it in many places on the website pictures. i have written some poems here or there that i like. my brother is rumored to have carved some wooden canes, but i haven't seen any of them. my sister is really good at acting in plays, she's not done much since high school with it though... her partner does wood fired pottery. my other brother is a natural comedian (same as all of us, my entire family is funny/odd/unintentionally funny and sometimes also intentionally). my Dad can tell funny stories for hours, both him and my oldest brother can do the art of the schmooze. :)

the family genes are certainly there for creativity and craftmanship... doing hard tile work for generations, terrazzo can be very creative/beautiful, mosaics, etc... i've tried a few times to get Mom into making mosaics with her talents for arrangements/colors/shapes, etc. but she is very much into quilting. my own ideas have gone more towards murals using mineral pigments in a white cement base, but again, i've not ever gone beyond the idea stage. i always have a lot of ideas, i just rarely get to them... i think sculpture is the one that really get to me on a lot of levels. a bit too late to start and too many other interests. the barrier between brain/imagination and my ability to record it beyond that. i've written music and plays in dreams and woken up but most of it is gone. i write bits of things down. for the music i would need a brain implant that can record what i'm doing. i just have no talent for musical notation. i can barely read it and not fast. the one time i tried to learn a song it took me a whole year and i still didn't get it down completely. brain says one thing, fingers say another. dyslexia sux. i'm just glad i can type most days. :) (some days i can't and give up to do other things)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very nice work!

I used to help my uncle find myrtlewood on the beach for his woodturning hobby. I did the same for my neighbor who made boxes and mantle clocks with them. I smelled the wood out in the piles of driftwood. Does that olfactory skill represent a talent? A hobby?

Going beyond an ability to sniff wood is WHY we need teachers! I seem to have directed my "skills" to sniffing things out in the garden ;).

Dad's 100th birthday is coming up. Dad was a skilled engine mechanic. He had a love affair with a farm.

Dad taught me to do chores and when I drifted onto the wrong path at 13, he granted me the independence to make corrections, to be myself. Dad wasn't just a parent, he was a friend. "No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow." (Alice Walker)

Steve :)

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight

Annette,
Those pieces are true craftsmanship! Simply Stunning!

I used to have all kinds of hobbies before losing most of my vision along with poor health issues.

Fly Tying
Wood Working
Furniture Refinishing
Blacksmithing
Oil Painting

Now my hobby is sitting.

And Talking.

But I sure miss doing stuff.
I'm trying to add pictures but having no luck yet

IMG_4275.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts