farmerjan's journal

farmerjan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Don't see a "questionnaire to answer/fill in so just a little bit about me. I have a thread on BYH where I was introduced to that forum several years ago by greybeard.
My DS and I have beef cattle... a cow/calf operation. We are bigger farmers than most on here, but I am a homesteader at heart. I have some jersey's and guernsey's that I use as nurse cows and raise calves on. I have raised hogs; Duroc's, Hampshire's, Berkshire's and other crosses.... horned dorset wool sheep, for years and now DS has some White Texas Dall sheep (hair)... have had free range laying hens selling 50 + dozen eggs a week, as well as purebred show birds now....raised lots and lots of cornish x for meat for the freezer.... have had gardens and put up produce for years but do not have a garden this year due to needing knee replacements...do a little bit of anything to be more independent. Worked as a milk tester for over 30 years so have a good connection to the dairy industry also. Moved from Conn to Va many yrs ago. I like the 4 seasons but with a milder winter season.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Louisiana, glad you joined.

You have a skill set and experiences that a lot of us don't have but we are always eager to learn. And you may find a few that understand you. I am glad you are here.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't see a "questionnaire to answer/fill in so just a little bit about me. I have a thread on BYH where I was introduced to that forum several years ago by greybeard.
My DS and I have beef cattle... a cow/calf operation. We are bigger farmers than most on here, but I am a homesteader at heart. I have some jersey's and guernsey's that I use as nurse cows and raise calves on. I have raised hogs; Duroc's, Hampshire's, Berkshire's and other crosses.... horned dorset wool sheep, for years and now DS has some White Texas Dall sheep (hair)... have had free range laying hens selling 50 + dozen eggs a week, as well as purebred show birds now....raised lots and lots of cornish x for meat for the freezer.... have had gardens and put up produce for years but do not have a garden this year due to needing knee replacements...do a little bit of anything to be more independent. Worked as a milk tester for over 30 years so have a good connection to the dairy industry also. Moved from Conn to Va many yrs ago. I like the 4 seasons but with a milder winter season.

welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. i grew up kitty-corner from a small dairy farm and i spent a lot of time there helping out as i could.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
How did I miss this? Glad you are here, my friend! I love TEG. Where else can you post a picture of a pile of horse manure and get admiring comments? LOL

I hope you feel good enough to plant a garden in the spring. Even a small one will bring you happiness and satisfaction.
If you don’t have a stash of seeds, shop now! Seed companies are already selling out and with more shortages and inflation, more people will be planting gardens.

Latest posts