Favorite Lettuce?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lettuce is a little difficult for us. Here at home, the house sparrows chew them up! The big garden has so much wind and no shade, I just might put something up to shield them because, there is a nice lot of lettuce that can go out there.

DW seems to like Buttercrunch best. I like Nevada lettuce (or Batavian/Summer Crisp types in general) and Romaine holds up better than most but DW doesn't care for it so we haven't grown it in years. Admittedly, I'm not much of a salad fan. @so lucky commented about bitterness, that is probably the reason why.

Steve

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are hot and humid so I like to grow cherokee and Muir lettuces from johnnys. They hold up well in our hot springs and even in to summer as long as I water them once everyday during the hottest part of the day.
I love buttercrunch :)

Friend of mine shared some salanova seedlings with me and they are very good!

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Arugula is a Brassica, so, a 3rd cousin to cabbage.

A bitter cousin with an attitude, and, you put balsamic vinegar on arugula, Mary??

Good Heavens. Next you will be telling us that you eat as much garlic as @flowerbug and @Zeedman !

digitS’ ;)
more of a mache salad wimp
You think I jest but try Dijon mustard and oil on a salad one day when you want to experience new things.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Dirtmechanic , that sounds like it might be okay :).

I've seen that Frizzy Headed Drunken Woman lettuce and, of course, wondered how anyone would come up with such a name, @heirloomgal . Since, DW likes that other "Butterhead" so well ... oh, I don't want to try to explain to her why I bought the seed :D.

Today, we put nearly two flats of lettuce in the distant garden. One variety was Vulcan, she saw that advertised and was taken in by the picture ;). The other was from a packet of 2021 seed and that disastrous lettuce year with the 111°f June day and the horde of House Sparrows. We ate next to no lettuce last year.

Putting lettuce in the big garden might not work. I carried a whole bunch of garden stakes out there and was thinking of building a wall of sorts on the South side of a bed of lettuce. When we arrived at a little before noon, I looked at the shadow of the neighbor's BIG garage. And then, thought how tall my shading wall would have to be to cast a 4' shadow through the midday hours. No! It ain't gonna work. Our sun is so close to directly overhead at noon - Imma gonna have to measure that 6' shadow at High Noon again!

Anyway, the other packet of seed was a mix of varieties. One is a Batavian called Loma, Territorial says that it is "very heat tolerant." We just cannot have another 111° day but we will see how well Loma does and if DW likes it. I expect that I will - and especially if it is around more than a couple of weeks. We will try cut-&-come-again.

Steve

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Arugula is a Brassica, so, a 3rd cousin to cabbage.

A bitter cousin with an attitude, and, you put balsamic vinegar on arugula, Mary??

Good Heavens. Next you will be telling us that you eat as much garlic as @flowerbug and @Zeedman !

digitS’ ;)
more of a mache salad wimp
I have the same feelings about arugula, @digitS' 😆🤣

I do love garlic tho!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lettuce is a little difficult for us. Here at home, the house sparrows chew them up! The big garden has so much wind and no shade, I just might put something up to shield them because, there is a nice lot of lettuce that can go out there.

DW seems to like Buttercrunch best. I like Nevada lettuce (or Batavian/Summer Crisp types in general) and Romaine holds up better than most but DW doesn't care for it so we haven't grown it in years. Admittedly, I'm not much of a salad fan. @so lucky commented about bitterness, that is probably the reason why.

Steve
I love butter crunch.

Latest posts