Favorite thing to do with tomatoes

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got my first tomato today!!! (felt like FOREVER!!) So I am eating caprese salad (tomatoes, fresh mozz, basil, balsamic & olive oil) which is one of my ABSOLUTE favorite summer tomato recipes. :drool I think my 2nd favorite is BLTs. What is your favorite way to eat tomatoes? I'm trying to find some more ideas since I hope to be up to my eyeballs here in a week or so.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gosh Curly....this is a hard one. I'm like you, I love caprese salad. I also love bruchetta, spaghetti, anything italian with tomatoes.

I must have been an italian in my other life. :)

Mary

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Sauce! I am growing tomatoes this year mostly to make sauce :) And with that sauce we can do all kinds of pasta dishes and pizza too.

Yum!

Whitewater

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love all of the above! I dried a bunch of my cherry toms last year and found that they were really handy, delicious and easy! I dried them in my dehydrator and froze them in plastic bags. It is tedious, since I took out the seeds- but they are wonderful added to pizza, soups, etc. I was happy to have them when the cherry toms in the grocery went to 5 bucks! Still waiting for mine here in zone 4- this heat should speed them up....

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a few different types of tomatoes. With tomatoes that we can slice normally our family tradition is BLT's. I fry up what seems like 10 pounds of bacon and we eat until we bust.

I put in more romas this year to make more pasta sauce, but things are looking bleak in the tomato garden this year. I'm still holding out a faint hope.

Last year I made almost all my salsa and pasta sauces from grape tomatoes. Yes lots of work, but I couldn't see wasting all those little tomatoes. I had seeding and peeling down to fine art. A few of those plants go a long way.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm pretty eager for saucing season to start. For Christmas, I got a food mill, and I used it to remove some of the seeds from my blackberries when I make jam. It's soooo easy! Seeding and peeling my tomatoes is so time-consuming (even with the boiling water peeling method), this is going to make sauce a snap!! I forgot about this recipe I tried last year. It was quite delicious.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Corn-Tomato-Salad/Detail.aspx

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mmmm... Stuffed with cottage cheese, cheese and tomato sandwich, dried and used in sundried tomato turkey meatloaf (my favorite) :drool I may have to make my meatloaf next week...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh wow... that is fantistic and sounds YUMMMMMMMMM

My first tomato was a tomato sandwich with mayo and pepper!

Yesterday I had my first BIG batch of tomatoes ready... and my thai chilies had a good 5 ready.... so I made salsa with some left over corn I had made the other night.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!

Latest posts