Feeling groovy ... NOT

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I lost many plants this year due to verticilium wilt, I had to T the dead and dying and start to replace them with resistant type plants. I went to quite a few nurseries and MOST of them were of NO help to slight amount of helpful information. I talked to 2 master gardeners near me that were helpful with information. I purchased some of recommended plants and started planting. I found myself huffing and puffing more and more often even with just walking out to the work site. I went to a doctor's appointment and he ordered blood tests. Another doctor's appointment after the test results yielded little results . Last Friday afternoon, I felt VERY LOUSY ... so I went to our hospital EMERGENCY room... more blood tests and hours later doctors recommended rest, drink plenty of liquids . Come last Tues. , 6 am , I was taking out some garbage to the garbage can, and I almost dropped huffing and puffing. I slowly made my way back into the house and called 911. The dispatcher said that an ambulance would arrive between 2-3 hours as they were on their way to a large multi-car traffic accident about 20 miles up the highway with traffic backed up for over a mile. So, what to do... I got into my car waited 15 minutes until my huffing and puffing subsided and I felt just fine, I started the engine and drove 17 miles down I 5 to the Hospital just off the highway offramp. I signed in at the Emergency section... The Doctors jumped into action, wired me up for an EKG, otherered the vampires to drain me for multi- blood tests a mile long, then the 3 hour waiting game for test results ... turns out I had severe anemia, so they checked me in and started a blood transfusion. The next day , I felt just a little better but more blood tests showed no cigar ... so more blood transfusion and another a day later . I started to feel better and the test reasults started to improve . I started to respond to additional medication by urinating more, and after 3 days a fecal sample with more blood,urine and fecal tests ... all showing improvement. By late Sat. afternoon, I was autherised for a jail break, and I took full advantage of it to escape the HORRIBLE hospital food (inedible imitation in name only ) that they tried to make me consume. and constant wake up every 2 hours for vital checks and blood draws. I lost 8 pounds during my stay at this resort !!! I am now sitting comfortably in my very own EZ chair in my own living room watching TV, and typing away. I am to do NO work for the next 6 weeks so that I can re-grow my own red blood cells. I now have so many doctors' appointments that I feel dizzy just thinking of keeping them. :frow

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob, aren't you the guy who doesn't do well eating vegetables? That you feel better eating protein and fat?
Have you been on a forced high carb diet? That might be enough to make you anemic.
The more I read about how bad carbs are for a person, particularly a person with Type 2 diabetes, the more concerned I get about the fate of us all.

I think you need a nice juicy steak.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When does it ever end? Why does it have to be this hard. You'd think those initial blood tests would have caught this but they probably did not test for the right thing. With those symptoms you'd think what to test for would be obvious if just to eliminate it.

Glad it was not the heart. Now that you at least know the problem hopefully you can find a solution. Why are you anemic to start with and how do you manage it.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unusual for a guy to be anemic...I hope they look further. You are losing blood or losing the ability to form new blood cells somewhere or somehow. Usually men have TOO much iron in the blood, more so than ladies.

Power up on some liver and other organ meats, Bob, plus spinach...Popeye knew what he was doing. Same iron in raw spinach as there is in a steak and you can eat more of that without stoppering up your digestive system, though iron from animal sources is more easily absorbed.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm surprised you haven't been scoped for internal bleeding/ulcers/gi stuff.

hope you feel better soon...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry Bob 1st your wife now you. I can not believe 911 told you 2 to 3 hours. Did you make the drive alone or someone drove you? Feel and get better
I drove to the Hospital myself ! I feel much better today, however, my bone marrow will be working overtime for the next 6 + weeks to replenish my red blood cells. They had performed MANY blood tests for the prior 2 weeks and nothing had shown up. Then after a day in the hospital, they did additional blood gasses tests and found out that I was anemic. Go figure ... :idunno

Latest posts