Fencing, reasonable protection?

Firefyter-Emt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, I need to fence my garden and need about 150' of fence. I want to protect the garden, but have a limited budget. I like the "Rabbit Gaurd" fence which is $22.99 for 50' so I need three rolls, then I need about 25 more fence posts.

I have a new roll of that "chicken wire" that has not been used, but I am leary of using that to protect the garden. (NE Conn.) It would make my fencing costs much less all around if I went with poultry fencing, but would it be good enough?
The rabbit gaurd is also just 40" tall, so a hair over three feet.

On the post spacing, I am thinking every five feet right now. What about a gate, any good photos or ideas for a hinged type gate that flows with the fencing?

Anything I missed? Should I invest in corner bracing for the corners?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
1" chickenwire has worked for me, as long as the bottom is WELL pegged down. I don't guarantee that not a single tiny baby bunny will be able to get in, but it keeps out the vast majority of rabbits. At least where I've lived. If you live somewhere with seriously dedicated rabbits, they will of course dig under it, as they will dig under anything but a fairly elaborately-guarded fence :p

Good luck,

Pat

Latest posts