Fennel

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay, I admit it...I stuck in a plant this spring simply because I thought it was pretty. Now, I don't know what to do with it. Any suggestions?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seeds are good for spicing up meat.
Stems and leaves are great for chewing on!
If it bulbed up, or at least has a tender base, that is good sliced into salads

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love fennel seed and was hoping to get some, but it never bloomed. It's an annual, right? If I could leave it to grow more next year, I would, but I really don't want to see it go to waste. Suppose I could chop the stems and dry them to use as flavorings?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mickey, it sounds like you are having some of the same experiences I did with fennel.

I grew Florence fennel first and had no idea what to do with the bulbs. I like licorice flavors but didn't really want that for a salad or soup. That's just me.

Anise hyssop is an herb of choice for herb tea. I decided to try non-bulbing fennel next for its leaves and seed to use as a tea. What I learned was that I do not like the leaves . . . nope, not for me! And . . . the plants flowered but were killed by frost before they matured seed.

So, I grew it for yet another year. Same story -- the plants flowered very late and did not have time to set seed. It is easy enuf for me to buy fennel seed and try with, or as a substituted for, anise hyssop but I haven't gotten a round tuit.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chewing on a few seeds also helps indigestion.

I used the bulb cut up in rabbit stew and thought it really made it good. Not sure what other dishes you would use it in, but I know Italian cooking uses a lot of fennel.

The plant itself is a good attractant for pollinators and swallowtail butterfly caterpillars. I'll grow it again just for that reason.