fig cuttings

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
if I want to propogate my fig should I take a cutting now or wait or when? I know how to do it but I am not sure when to do it

I already googled it :)

thanks so much in advance

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know?! I was told to do the peach I tried, and the grapes in fall... that's all I would have to go by .

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had luck propagating fig through most of the year. Let's count that as a blessing.

Usually try and do it early fall after the last round of figs have given and that's when I'm usually pruning the trees any way.

Fortunately figs are relatively *easy* to propagate and you shouldn't have much of an issue using the methods described in the link above.

Good luck

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh Vfem honey you dont have to know! ..you have just started your journey into gardening and even with all these years under my belt I sure as heck do not know it all either OBVIOUSLY!!! or I would not be here! :)

Hattie and Oakland thanks so much for the info

I figured they would be easy just from the type of wood they have ..they seem like they are part tree part viney weedy thing...found some branches crossing over on the two trees and snipped them off ..with the help of The Chipmunk ..I dipped them in rooting hormone ..thinking of Injun Joe actually he did have it down when it came to propagating now didn't he?

then put them in some good mix of potting soil

then put the pots in bags to keep the humidity under control

I did six and will keep you guys posted!

I can not even imagine a world with too many fig trees in it !!!

I would love to give some as gifts during the year to my gardening friends here

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted a fig tree in the fall and I am not so sure it is going to make it :( . I think I planted it in to boggy of a spot. But the nursery lady told me that it would like it there. Anyway here is to hoping it lives.

Also the point of my story is my tree is just a stick. It totally is a cutting just stuck in a pot for a while then sold to me for like 10 bucks.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hope it lives too! hey if I can grow great big heathy fig trees here you sure should be able to here!!!

I know they like the soil sweet so I add lime to our in the spring and fall ..they also like to have a sunny spot and good drainage ..

my trees are (and I think this is hysterical considering I live in a rain trough!!!)

a Desert King

I hope my sticks in pots grow!!!

so if these root I will send them to the farmers market with my husband for $10 huh???

I cant do that I would feel guilty! I think they would either make nice gifts or

if they root I will put them in bigger pots and have a figgy forest all to myself some day .:weee.I can not imagine saying to anyone .."OMG I HAVE TOO MANY FIGS"!!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Hi obsessed,

I don't think 'boggy' is what they need -- they certainly like plenty of water in the summer along with feeding but in the winter they benefit from being drier.
Mine, here in the UK, are just beginning to show the bumps of the new leaves along their branches. Does yours have those yet? How tall is it? Did it have a good root system when you planted it?

If it is in a real bog & not too large is there a chance that you could dig it up & put it in a large pot for now. If you do that you could examine the root system at the same time, to see whether it has spread.

Read some of the links Hi Delight posted, they have a lot of information.
Lots of luck with it. :fl

:rose Hattie :rose

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Hattie! I was out in the garden today looking at it. Wondering if it was going to make it. I was thinking that if I just pulled it out and raised it up a bit then it would be in a good spot. The spot is wet and stays wet mostly because it rains so often. I have little dollar plants growing there (which are weeds). The plant was nothing but a 12" stick when I got it this summer but grew two branches in a pot. I see bumps on it but they are brown. It did have two green numbs but they browned up.