Fig Trees

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I've propagated some fig tree cuttings from a giant tree on our property in Southern California and they finally have taken root and are growing nicely.

How many years are they going to take to actually produce fruit? The tree in So Cal has been there forever and has always given giant fist sized fruits.

Also, anyone know any tricks or tips that I could use to help these little guys?

Any help is always appreciated.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm new to figs, so I don't know how much help I can offer. I hear they take 4-5 years to produce fruit. They prefer a warm, sunny spot and moist, well-draining soil. I can't decide if I'm going to keep mine in a pot or set it in the ground and then try to protect it during the winter (here in WA state). But I do know that I'm going to try to keep it on the south or south-east side of our house, where it will get reflected heat.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dug up five shoots (roots intact) from my grandmothers fig tree last summer and planted them in one pot - I babied them all winter and then planted them in the ground on the south side of my property and they are doing fantastic!

This fig tree was huge when I was growing up and it produced large, but not fist size fruit. I couldn't tell you what kind it is but it does survive our mild winters.

I'm hoping I'll have some fruit in the fall.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you both for your tips. :D

We'll do the best we can I'm sure. How well do they withstand winds? The multi-story apartment building behind us creates a horrible back wind and that area is the only place I can think of putting the little tree. :/ Of course nothing can ever be convenient.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd just water extra and/or mulch well. If the wind is really bad, you might consider fashioning a wind-break (at least until they get well established). A larger plant, placed properly would work as a windbreak.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I'd just water extra and/or mulch well. If the wind is really bad, you might consider fashioning a wind-break (at least until they get well established). A larger plant, placed properly would work as a windbreak.
Was thinking the same thing.

Be sure to let us know how yours progress.

Thanks!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you. :D

Right now it is just a twig. Pathetic looking, but with one tiny bud. It has been a long cold early spring. :(

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All of the fig trees I had, or friend's had, were always grown trees, so I don't know how long they will take to fruit.

What I do know is that they break rather easily; they need a lot of sun for fruit, but the trees are sensitive so are whitewashed if in the direct sun. Mostly the ones I have know have been behind wooden fences, close to houses etc.

Good luck with it. :)

tommijo

Sprout
Reaction score
I planted some fig trees last year and they have their spring fruit one them now. Should I rub the fruit of like you do on other fruit trees so the produce roots a growth instead fruit until fall. The figs have been on it long enough to be ping pong ball size still green. The leaves are turning yellow which is a sign of not enough water but I was thinking the first fruit could have something to do with it also.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How old is the tree? And how tall is it? I would think that it would be safe to punch off the fruits and wait for a fall crop, however at this stage and them being so big, I might just leave them.

Latest posts