Finally figured out my Soil problems

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been working hard to get a great garden which has really been a struggle here in SE GA. I think I have finally figured out the problems. I put in raised beds to correct the soil problems but it still hasn't produced the results I was looking for. I decided to do a soil test to see what was going on. My pH was too high and not enough Phosphate.

OK started looking for ways to fix quickly as well as long term, decide to add vinegar and water to bring in done now and then I bought aluminum sulfate for long term. I added vinegar to a gallon pitcher then using my garden hose started adding water. I had to keep stopping to let the bubbles go down. I added to one of my squash plants to test it. The next day it didn't even look like the same plant as the other. It was 2-3 shades darker green then the others. Added to all the other squash tried in a couple of other plants, still had a lot of bubbles when I added water. Then I realized.... yeap my water was too alkaline. LOL. No matter what I was doing with my soil I was undoing it when I water. That also explains the marked difference in last years bed with this years. I have been water them with baking soda for a year. I

Plants can't use the nutrients in the soil if the pH is too high. We have well water so I will have to either continuing amend the soil or start collecting rain water.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow 'Dorie!

I was once having monthly tests for water pH for a non-gardening concern.

Our water would be near 7 in the spring and run above 8 by late summer. It was surprisingly that well water was showing so much variability through the year.

I'm glad you are getting things figured out there in Georgia. You have gone through quite a change in environment. I'm also glad you are back here to tell us about what you are up to.

Steve

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been working on beds and trying to plant in season that I've never planted before. It has been interesting but I think I am figuring it out.

galanie

Sprout
Reaction score
Ah yes. Have to watch that in some parts of the country. All the gardening books tell us to put lime on the soil. Better know your Ph before doing that! I lived where the ph was very high for years. Never add lime, even wood ashes can be really detrimental when you're already at 7 or more. Yet all the gardening experts say to add them. That's because in most of the country, it's needed.

Pine needle mulches and lots of organic matter, compost, etc. help with that. A very light dusting of Sulfur (labeled often as dusting sulfur, sometimes as soil sulfur) is a good way to lower it too. And that only needs doing once a year or less. But be very sparing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had the wood ash problem.

In another home, I had plenty of ashes to use. I decided to mix them with blood and bone meals and use as a garden fertilizer. First! If you do this, wear a mask!!

On a bed of onions, I applied a fairly light covering of 100% ashes to half the bed. It was perfectly easy for me to see that applying the ashes was a mistake.

I went back to putting the ashes in my compost and hoping that was okay. Second! If you do this, make sure you aren't putting anything that is burning in the compost!

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hide
Let's just say that if you're going to get a wild hair and decide to burn a gigantic pile of leaves... it's best to NOT have piled them right next to the compost pile....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My soil is acidic, around 5.4 untreated, so I have to lime occasionally. I use wood ashes, but sparingly, spreading them out very well. This is mostly because we heat solely with wood and have an abundance of them. They do a good job of breaking up the clay, I guess preventing the clay particles from sticking together so much. It's not hard to check your pH and a good digital meter is pretty inexpensive.

Latest posts