Finally solved chipper shredder problem!

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a McCullogh chipper shredder (http://www.amazon.com/Green-Culture-Electric-Chipper-Shredder/dp/B000BWGAJ2)that works great on small branches, but the opening at the top made it impossible to shred more than a handful of oak leaves at a time. I have a bazillion oak leaves, which are like the only leaves that MUST be shredded before composting. I considered the string trimmer in the garbage can (great for everything except oak leaves), and the shredder vac (great for all except oak leaves). I have craved a pro quality shredder but TOO expensive. Yesterday, I suddenly realized what I should do! I just took the top off the McCullogh and made a giant funnel for the top, and started shredding! Essentially, I just removed the safety feature. It works great now for barrels full of oak leaves, as long as they are dry. I am very careful to unplug before unclogging anything. I do want to get some comfy safety glasses too. It shreds the leaves very fine. I now know what I am going to use to fill at least a portion of all those raised beds I am going to make!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I need me one of those!!! PRETTY! (And safety features aren't always the greatest. :barnie )

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
oh dear I have tons of live oak leaves ... I dont ever shread them..

my shreader consists of 16 little chickens. LOL

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would love to have a real shredder, but I have the vac shredder and I have to put oak leaves through it two and three times to get them fine.

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
I would love to have a real shredder, but I have the vac shredder and I have to put oak leaves through it two and three times to get them fine.
I see gas powered shredders all the time on craigslist for a real resonable price. You just have to keep your eye out for them.

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Shredders are wonderful!!! We just bought one this winter, that hooks onto the power takeoff on our smaller tractor, and this spring we shredded all the tree limbs that came down over the winter, the apple tree limbs we pruned, and scrap lumber that had been hanging around because it was too dry to have a bonfire. Instant compost pile, mixed with the shavings/poop from the coop!

I also use the chickens to shred oak leaves - much cheaper than a machine, though it does take longer!

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
freshfood said:
I also use the chickens to shred oak leaves - much cheaper than a machine, though it does take longer!
The kids think I am lazy because I am going to let the chickens stir the compost pile while they are adding poo to it. I also raked a big pile of impossible to shred wet leaves out into a thin layer and the chickens are doing a great job of aerating them so they dry faster. Chickens are great!

bigdreams

Sprout
Reaction score
Do any of you use your shedder to make your own coop shavings? Thats what I would like to do but I am wondering if they are going to be dry enough. Thanks.
:idunno

Latest posts