Finally!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
After a three month hiatus, my spoiled chickens are laying again. What a wonderful surprise awaited me when I let them out for their afternoon stroll..:rolleyes: They have been acting different this week, and had started talking to me again, whereas a week ago, I couldn't even get a murmur out of any of them when I locked them up for the evening and said good night. Just sullen silence. They started doing the egg song a couple of days ago, and sitting in the nests, so I actually figured it wouldn't be too long. And... I was gifted today with two eggs! The other two ladies aren't back at it yet. It may well be another month before they lay anymore, but at least there's hope.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great! I practically forgot how delicious fresh eggs were. We didn't have many November thru most of January. I finally gave up and put a light in there for a couple hours in the morning. I actually have extra eggs and have made 2 quiche to celebrate! 48 days until spring!

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just love it when the sun comes back! :) We didn't provide any light in the coop for a couple months and production dwindled drastically. We finally added light about mid December and we're up to about 2 or 3 a day now. Not the 5 we got during the summer, but plenty for our needs. Since we got the chickens, I absolutely refuse to buy eggs! ;)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amen to that Mickey! The 1st year we had our 2 hens, we bought them at 18 months old, so of course they molted. NOOOOOOOO eggs for over 3 months. :hit I bought 1 dozen eggs from the store and still had one left when they started laying again. Last year, I had 6 new hens and they didn't molt until this fall. Even then, we still got a couple of eggs a day, then nothing. I put a light on them and am now getting 3-7 eggs a day out of 8 hens. It is always so wonderful to get eggs again! Congrats to all the hens that are laying again!! :woot

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think it's about time for me to replace my 7 RIRs. I've been getting 2-3 eggs a day for the since last summer, even with extra lighting. They're only quite 3 years old, but out of 7 hens, I should be getting more than this. They have access to good feed, fresh water, extra lighting, and plenty of space. I don't know what the problem is, but I think I should be getting more eggs than this.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Maybe it 'cause I have a bright light on a timer in the coop but our egg production has only slowed a little this winter. We are down to 11 hens these days and we have been getting anywhere from 6 to 8 eggs every day. I have the timer set to go on at 6:00A and off at 10:00A and then on again at 6:00P and off at 8:00P. It seems to work very well especially when there is 3" of snow on the ground and dark gloomy winter clouds overhead.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
jomoncon said:
I think it's about time for me to replace my 7 RIRs. I've been getting 2-3 eggs a day for the since last summer, even with extra lighting. They're only quite 3 years old, but out of 7 hens, I should be getting more than this. They have access to good feed, fresh water, extra lighting, and plenty of space. I don't know what the problem is, but I think I should be getting more eggs than this.
As Old age creeps up , egg production goes down. Time for new pullets and chicken soup.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have electricity to the chicken coop, but in hot summer I run an extension cord out there with a fan. Guess I should have done this for a light in winter, but I will wait till next winter now. I suppose I could bury a cord. I wonder if just a heavy duty extension cord would work, or if I need the industrial wiring romax or what ever it is called.

Latest posts