finally!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tuesday i bought the wood to make the green house! today i assembled the walls and tomorrow's plan is to get the walls up & roof panels on. i need to buy the clear vinyl for the walls & hope to have time to get that & put it all on in time for the weekend.

this is going to be 8'x12' footing with 10' height. the plan is to use part of it as a seasonal storage area for yard equipment (lawnmower, snow thrower, tiller). effectively i'll be using about 8'x8' of the space for my seed starting & supplies.

i'll get pics tomorrow of everything.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Excellent! You will love having a greenhouse! Waiting for those pics....

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm also looking forward to the pictures. :pop The only reason we didn't have a greenhouse sooner is because I was going to build it and never got around to it...so little time to build it with all the other chores that need to be done. So, we finally bought one.

Jim

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Building it yourself? That's a geat adventure, @Chickie'sMomaInNH !

I'm all for doing things in steps. If I can't see my way for the long run, I'll head off for the first shade tree and call that my milepost, next tree/next milepost.

I started by trying a coldframe. Having worked in a greenhouse that covered an acre of ground, I couldn't take my coldframe seriously. Next step was a lean-to, against a garage. Except, it wasn't my garage at that rental home. I knew I'd be moving so it was a fun exercise in how I could build it in parts that could be disassembled and moved in a year or two.

The garage in the wrong place at the new residence - no choice but to build a new wall. That's it, just a wall. But, I already wanted a bigger greenhouse but couldn't see my way clear to build it .... make the wall longer than necessary for the little lean-to and use the remainder of the wall space in a few years.

Even the "new" greenhouse didn't go up as one unit. I actually built the foundation so an additional 4' to the south could be added later. Took a few years but that's what I did.

Since a "greenhouse" has to be open to sunlight on the south side, at least, I have half a house! Maybe, I should somehow complete it sometime in the future ... I'm thinking a "garden office" with a 2nd floor "conservatory," upstairs ...

;) Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
@MoonShadows, similar situation. when i lived with my parents i had a small one that was about 6'x8' with clear fiberglass panels. but after 30 years those panels were turning a murky yellow and the wood frame was rotting away. the plan was to replace it eventually so i had bought some of the replacement plastic panels but never got around to rebuilding it. plans changed, i got married, moved to an apartment, then a house where i didn't quite know where to put it. and now dh and i own this house outright so i feel comfortable with all the space and where i want to put it.

since 2009 we haven't had the money or the time to work on making this. right now i'm on vacation and we've had some extra $$ i've set aside for this. so far i've spent around $200 for the lumber and the screws. with the vinyl wrap and a couple sheets of plywood for the back i'm probably going to spend another $100

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i may be delayed in putting up the sides of the greenhouse today. i want to take a trip to the Fuller Gardens to see what they have for sale at their annual Mother's Day plant sale. i'm hoping i could find a nice shrub rose or two i've been looking for. or maybe a climbing rose. i also need to pick up a mother's day present so i can swing by another greenhouse to get a gift card for mom and browse their stuff too.

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It sounds exciting! I remember planning and building my chicken coup a couple of years ago, 8 x 10. It was the largest and boldest building venture I had ever taken on. Every day was a venture. There is a lot of satisfaction in building something, all the sweat-equity you put in, and finally stepping back and seeing the final result.

chicken-coop.jpg

The greenhouse I had my eye on that was my plan to build is one made by Ana White. If you don't know who Anna White is, you absolutely have to check out her website at: http://ana-white.com/
Tons of plans on Ana's site including plans to build this greenhouse.

anna-greenhouse.jpg

Latest posts