Fire-Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok, making green salsa is about 1000% times easier than doing red! No blanching, peeling, and seeding of tomatoes... I simply husked, washed, and roasted the suckers on the bbq to blacken them a bit. I used my food processor for everything except the garlic. My husband LOVES this on tacos.

So take these:
8005_toma.jpg

And turn it into this:
8005_salsa.jpg

Recipe

5 1/2 cup husked, washed, fire-roasted, and chopped tomatillos
1 cup chopped onion
I cup chopped peppers (I used 1/4 serranos and 3/4 Hungarian yellow- and I did not seed, I like it spicy)
3 cloves garlic, minced finely
1/2 cup white vinegar
4 tbs. lemon juice
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt

I food processed the onions super-fine then measured out, and then did the same with the peppers and tomatillos. Combine everything in a pot and boil for 10 minutes. Ladle everything into your hot sterilized jars and allow 1/2" head space. Process in a water bath for 15 minutes.

Compared to my red salsa, which takes 4 hours to do- this was a snap!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks wonderful! I hope I have a big enough harvest to try it!! When I saw the pic, I thought they were green tomatoes!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OMG we make this weekly at our house! But I didnt know I could can it. I usualy just roast 1 lb tomatillos, then puree them with cilantro, garlic, peppers, and salt. We put it on EVERYTHING. It's called "The Green Stuff" in our house and at my dad's in WY :) I'm so stoked, my dad's GF will be thrilled that we can can it!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so growing tomatillos next year! That looks so good, thanks for the recipe.
I grew them years ago and didn't really use them up, but now I know! :)

Latest posts