1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Spiders - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Fires in the West

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by murphysranch, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Aug 5, 2018
    murphysranch

murphysranch Garden Addicted

I read about Major's 11 inches of rain and then 4.32 inches and then more and watched his vids....Rain. Gosh, we need rain, but its just not part of our climate out west. In Grants Pass OR on the 15th of July a thunder and lightening storm (virtually no rain) came thru. It started over 100 fires of which two are still burning. The one impacting me is the Taylor Creek Fire, which started about 7 crow fly miles from my home. Now its 2 crow miles, and the street across from my neighborhood is Level One evac. Meaning: be ready. Think, plan, stage your stuff. Just in case. Well, we've been staged and ready for 12 days now.

Baby pics, guns, files, pic frames with generations of family, my two sewing machines, hubs record collection, ammo, dog and cat food and the crates. Since we've not fully unpacked, it took a day to find the above to stage it. We also moved our 5th wheel and the 24' cargo mate trailer into place for pulling outa here. You never know...

In the meantime, hubs cancelled a trip to San Jose to do a deck job. He did go to the coast for his friend's mother's 91st BD, but he came home after a day and a half cus it was getting knarly. We had our second break in in this neighborhood in the year we've been here, down the street. Tweakers fleeing the hills have come down and are roaming around.

The National Guard was called in two weeks ago, to man(woman) check points for the Level 3 evac areas. The tweakers and the scum started looting the empty homes. The Guard mans the check points for a 24 hr shift. They check id's for addresses, but still the pond scum found ways in. Some of the Level 3's have been lifted, but not all. The folks in Level 2 are just hunkered down.

We have fire fighters from all over the west coast here in town. The Redding Fire (called Carr Fire) was horrible and pulled resources away from ours. Not a problem. They lost homes and lives. We've only lost forest cus the structure teams have keep any homes and resorts from burning down. Our fire is slow and steady. The Carr fire was a fire storm.

pjn, Carol Dee and flowerbug like this.
  2. Aug 5, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

it's all stuff to me, i would miss it if it were gone, but life is more important and so i hope if you need to get out you'll do it and be safe. :)

Carol Dee likes this.
  3. Aug 5, 2018
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

Yeah, we all have our issues, floods, drought, heavy rain, heat, cold, wildfires, straight-line winds, tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, blizzards, ice storms, whatever. They can all do a lot of property damage and kill people. At least you have warning to get as ready as you can. Wishing you all the luck in the world on your things but remember all that is worthless without your lives. I look forward to hearing from you for years to come.

Zeedman, pjn, Carol Dee and 2 others like this.
  4. Aug 5, 2018
    Collector

Collector Garden Addicted

I hope the fires your way don’t overrun you guys. At least you have your must haves staged and your ready to skeedaddle if need be.

Carol Dee and murphysranch like this.
  5. Aug 5, 2018
    murphysranch

murphysranch Garden Addicted

more to come

Carol Dee likes this.
  6. Aug 5, 2018
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    It's been smokey here in the mountains and the high desert``

Carol Dee likes this.
  7. Aug 5, 2018
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

Remember when the environmentalists were all gung ho to save the spotted owl because they needed old growth forests to save them from extinction ? Turns out that they also reproduce in other places too. The BLM was underfunded. Livestock numbers drastically cut back from grazing in National Parks. Prescribed fires drastically cut back. Herbicides vilified. Etc. Now we have tangles of unpenatrable and un-managed tree and underbrush growth with no roads or vehicles allowed or fire breaks for thousands of acres on end that is set up for huge fires.

8. Aug 5, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Good luck not sure how I would decide what to take and what to leave.

9. Aug 5, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Well owls are cute

ninnymary and digitS' like this.
  10. Aug 5, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Watch the tweakers carefully you never know how they might react. I would rather deal with gang member then crackhead any day

murphysranch and Carol Dee like this.