First batch of wild violet jelly

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wanted to say thank to all who have shared about wild violet jelly and dandelion jelly. Made my first violet jelly - so pretty and so good. Will be making more - great gifts. Got my dandelions ready to make more of that this year. Several requests for it. Again another great little gift. Thanks to all who share so much on here.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking this morning I need to make more Violet Jelly. :) I did notice the neighbors yard is white with violets. But the purple ones work better. Hmmm maybe I will ask Grandsons to help pick them, no need to worry if they got heads only. Many a flower has been brought to Grandma and floated in a dish for lack of a stem. ;)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've started collecting Dandelions too. Last year was the first time I'd made it and it was popular, even if it was with Bay's recipe. I may try two batches this year but that's four quarts of prepared dandelions. That's tedious work, getting the green out of the yellow. Oh, well, something for rainy wet days. I store them in the freezer in quart jars until I have enough for a batch. @baymule when I first made it the scrapings had a strong lemon flavor but after processing and some storage the lemon flavor was not overpowering at all. It was good, a lot like honey.

I'm going to try mint jelly this year for the first time. I have a dilemma though. Do I add green food coloring to make it pretty or just go with the natural light color? That natural lighter color is not what people expect and appearance is pretty important to some people but I've never added any food coloring to any of my jelly or jam. I'll make a decision when the time comes but not sure which way I'll go.

I've debated rose petal jelly too but from what I've read the flavor and odor isn't all that strong. Has anyone tried that and how did it turn out? Any suggestions.

I tried mulberry jelly last year but it did not set up. Anyone ever try mulberry syrup over pancakes or waffles? It's pretty good.

I also did a persimmon jelly using apple juice instead of the water the recipe called for. It was pretty good, my niece asked if I had a second jar, but the persimmons left a more permanent stain in the jelly bag than the mulberries. I didn't expect that.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've started collecting Dandelions too. Last year was the first time I'd made it and it was popular, even if it was with Bay's recipe. I may try two batches this year but that's four quarts of prepared dandelions. That's tedious work, getting the green out of the yellow. Oh, well, something for rainy wet days. I store them in the freezer in quart jars until I have enough for a batch. @baymule when I first made it the scrapings had a strong lemon flavor but after processing and some storage the lemon flavor was not overpowering at all. It was good, a lot like honey.

I'm going to try mint jelly this year for the first time. I have a dilemma though. Do I add green food coloring to make it pretty or just go with the natural light color? That natural lighter color is not what people expect and appearance is pretty important to some people but I've never added any food coloring to any of my jelly or jam. I'll make a decision when the time comes but not sure which way I'll go.

I've debated rose petal jelly too but from what I've read the flavor and odor isn't all that strong. Has anyone tried that and how did it turn out? Any suggestions.

I tried mulberry jelly last year but it did not set up. Anyone ever try mulberry syrup over pancakes or waffles? It's pretty good.

I also did a persimmon jelly using apple juice instead of the water the recipe called for. It was pretty good, my niece asked if I had a second jar, but the persimmons left a more permanent stain in the jelly bag than the mulberries. I didn't expect that.
Yumm-O

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Recipe for violet jelly please! I know where I can dig up some plants, but will have to wait until they multiply.

Latest posts