First Day of Autumn, & Continuing

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The equinox here is tomorrow about dinner time. Direct, overhead sunlight will be below the equator for the next 6 months.

It has been a HOT 3 months of Summer in the Wild West. Not only did the last week of July have temperatures above 100°f (38°C) but so did the last week of August. We haven't seen an afternoon high below 70° (21C) since the Fourth of July. We still haven't had another but should after a little rain, tonight. I won't talk about rain - tragically little.

The drop in temperatures came about a customary time. In 2022, they just had farther to drop. That is, still no danger of frost because of the high afternoon temperatures. With 12 hours of darkness, a drop from a pleasant afternoon to freezing the next morning shouldn't surprise any of the residents here. It is just what comes with living at a somewhat high elevation with clear skies and low humidity. Fortunately, my garden isn't at any higher elevation where it would be even more likely. The decision that will be avoided this year will be whether to run sprinklers on that morning to mitigate freezing temperatures. Warmer Summer daytimes meant warmer Summer nights and warm season garden plants matured their crops :).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, it's that time of the year again. counting the daylight hours, enjoying cooler temperatures and trying to get as much done as possible before the (four letter word) flies.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NSFW ..?

Oh, you mean SNOW. Yeah, that's not safe for work, as well!

Dang, I used to hate driving to work in the snow. NOW, I hate it when we have important appointments on snowy, icy days.

Steve, oriented towards retirement & sunlight

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, first day of Autumn, 92 degrees, FEELS like 96.
Tomorrow...high of 67. Clouds to the west trying to tease us that we will get a little bit of rain around 5PM.
Guess the tomatoe and peppers are happy today.

we are going from today's high of 83F and humid to 60F for the high tomorrow, but sunshine and breezy, tonight's temperature around 50F. breeze will be very welcome to dry everything out so i can get it picked.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mid-October.

Thirty days hath September,
April, June and November.
All the rest have thirty-one,
Excepting February alone,
And that has twenty-eight days clear
And twenty-nine in each leap year. ~ Mother Goose

Cal-en-dar. I'm solar-oriented. The calendar is frustrating to me. A: I can't remember the poem when I need to! B: It's based on the moon phases, except, it's not.

Cal-en-dar: The word comes from "calends" and those are the end days of the month. That word and "call" are derived from the same idea, the etymologists tell us. The monks in the town's chapel would call out during the evening when they saw the New Moon. I imagine that our terms changed with it now decided that the New Moon cannot be seen because the sunlight is directly behind it but ... I also imagine that the thin fingernail of a moon in the East as the sun sets, was of significance. Maybe, even worth yelling about 😮.

On this month's calendar ... our New Moon will arrive on the 25th, we are told. Somebody is cal-culating and writing these things down! Must be someone who earns a living doing things like that rather than just needing to focus on shelter & especially, food. We'd better not upset them, they probably handle our entertainment under a spire in the village. Must have time to preserve that wonderful recipe and to make that wine!

Steve🤔

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
check this out - the weather service is swearing at me:

This Afternoon
A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 54. West wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Tonight
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 37. West wind 7 to 9 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Monday
Showers. High near 43. West wind 13 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Monday Night
Rain, possibly mixed with snow showers,
^^^^

mainly before 8pm. Low around 35. Northwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Tuesday
Showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 43. Breezy, with a west northwest wind 15 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Tuesday Night
A chance of rain and snow showers before
^^^^

2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Wednesday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44.
Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34.
Thursday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 50.
Thursday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 58.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 43.
Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 65.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 47.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 69.

not very monkish of them or enlightened either, but that weekend forecast does look sweet. :)

[note the ^'s were pointing at the s**w word but getting texts left alone is sometimes difficult with web thingies]

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i am sprawled out here looking out the window and i was talking to Mom because she said it felt like it was getting colder. yes, it has been and then a few minutes later it started to snow. right now there's large snowflakes coming down...

they've moderated the end of the week high temperature from 69F to 67F. it's only Monday...

Latest posts