FIRST GARDEN PLANTING OF 2016

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well today I attached a busting plow to the rear of my tractor.
I cut a test furrow to see how the soil would work, looked just right, so I commenced to plant about 5# of potatoes and 50 bare root strawberry plants.
I have another 50 strawberry plants in 5 gal buckets out in the greenhouse.
It also looks like my container planted rhubarb and horse radish are bursting out of their winter dormancy.
It felt good to get my hands back in the dirt!!!!

THANX RICH

Sorry but the OG in the header should be OF and I can't find any way to edit the header.

THANX RICH

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted 6 each of 4 varieties of tomatoes and 12 each of three morning glory colors so I am officially getting my 2016 garden started. Ya'll make my puny efforts seem too little, but I'm right on time for starting seeds in South-est, central-est Wisconsin.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Even though my neighbors are getting snow this weekend, I think I will till my big garden bed. I have taken to removing my raised bed wood, and then putting them back in, supported with wooden stakes after the soil is ready to plant.
I planted my 3 1/2' x 6' "salad garden" bed (separate from all of the rest) last weekend, but we had 25-30 mph winds 2 days this week! This morning, I watered in well and then covered with clear plastic to keep everything wet. I planted 22 garlic in the corners, red onion sets on the sides, and spinach and lettuce and radishes in the middle. I will wait a few weeks to see where I need to replant the SEEDS. @baymule, I'll bet those pigs did you a favor in your garden. :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you I planned on those pigs doing a number on the garden. We loaded it up with pine shavings, then 3 pigs all winter. I can tell a difference in just the look of the soil. Now I need more pine shavings!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@dickiebird , you should see a "thread tools" above that first post if you want to click it to change the title OG to OF.

I "tilled" 2 garden beds. Then, covered them with the hoop house. It only a 9' by 20' area but it was 19# yesterday morning. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be the first 60# day of the year! ... after that we will have a few days of rain. The soil is a little wet already. And, that soil is a little too cold, although today was a very nice day :).

In fact, those 2 beds were planted with Asian greens including a cookie box full of bok choy. However, life will be a little different in that hoop house rather than out in the open.

Some tomato seedlings are big enough to be moved from their community containers to 4-packs. I will have them in 4" pots before they go out in the garden.

Steve

Latest posts