First signs of spring

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today , right after a nice shower, I went outside and noticed that the blueberry bushes' buds are starting to swell. The rhubarb buds have broken though the ground . Sure signs of SPRING here ! :weee

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We finally thawed out today and it is 58 degrees and sunny! :weeeEverything's a squishy, muddy mess, but definitely an improvement.

I saw a robin in my backyard today and also the maple tree buds are swelling and turning red. I'll have to go check my blueberries. ;)

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bleh 011.JPG

Sorry, couldn't help but to post a winter picture. :p

This is from about a week ago. Now all of the snow is melted and the Boxelder buds are starting to pop! :weee

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
THIS MORNING was the first I really started to feel like spring is coming. Snow has been melting (temporarily, of course) and i noticed my snowdrops in the sheltered location next to the house are popping up out of the leaves. It got me thinking about when exactly, with all the wind we've been having, we're going to be able to get the plastic over the greenhouse. Last year we picked a pretty windy day, not so smart!

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've noticed the grass is starting to get green under the brown - real close to the ground. My poultry flock is responding by spending a LOT more time out free-ranging and pecking at the ground, versus just standing around hating the snow.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
40f afternoon high
30mph wind
80% chance of snow, tonight

The puddle in front of my house disappeared! I was out there twice this week pushing the water into the driveway so that it would trickle into the road. Within an hour of carrying the push broom back in the yard, the puddle would be completely refilled.

Then, whoosh it was gone! Best I can figure is that it found a thawed route under the asphalt & down. Puddles formed on the lawn dozens of feet from any snow during yesterday's rain. I think those may have just blown away . . .

Neighbor's pre-school granddaughter is out there playing now. She isn't heavy enuf to bend grass let alone beat it into mud.

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How do the ducks like the snow?
The geese (what's in the pic) don't care what the weather's like. Hail, snow, or hard rain they'll just keep doing what geese do. The Pekings also don't mind, they do good in cold weather but roast during the summer. The Muscovy ducks being tropical birds hate the stuff so usually stay in the barn. They hate cold weather, but for some reason they like eating the snow. :p

Latest posts