First time potato grower

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is my very first year trying to grow potatoes. I'm clueless!

Should I plant them in the ground our in containers. The area where I have enough sun to plants then are either directly under a Black Walnut tree.... or the back of my hard that is rather hard and rocky. Would I be better off planting the seed potatoes in containers?

If I plant them in containers what size containers do I need?

Would 1/2 a wooden wine barrel be large enough?

Please help!

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have nothing to offer as I have never grown potatoes bfore but plan to this fall....so I plan on keeping an eye on this thread for some advice!

One question for you though, I thought they were a cool season crop?

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by cool season crop. I've never grown potatoes before and am pretty clueless. I live in Michigan and our last frost date just passed.

Am I to late to plant potatoes will the summer be to hot for them? Should I wait tell fall? Will the potato seeds still be good in the fall?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well typically veggies that are root of leafy crops perform better in cooler conditions.. and fruiting crops need a bit more heat to set fruit. Cool season crops are (usually)Spring/Fall...and warm crops are Summer.

For me in CA, warm season is late spring, summer & early fall and cool season is late fall thru early spring.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As long as your plant right after your last frost you should be fine. Potatoes do like warm soils, anything below 45 degrees and the seeds will not sprout.

Many people use the tire method when planting potatoes. Lightly till the spot where you want to place the tires for drainage, place one tire and fill the bottom half with a good compost, then the rest with good topsoil. Plant your potato seeds. As they grow, add more dirt and more tires, you should only need about 3-4 tires. Usually wait until the plants are about 10 inches tall before adding a new tire and soil. Also, if you do use compost be sure to use it on the sides and don't let it directly touch new emerging tubers as this can increase the occurrence of potato scab.

Good luck

Latest posts