Flea beetles

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have something eating my eggplant leaves. From googling, it looks like most likely a jumping flea beetle.

The recommendations I have found are capsicum and pyrethrum (sp)

Would spraying with soap and water help? Any other ideas? They are really doing a number on my eggplant leaves. The plants are still growing, but I understand they can attack the roots as well. Also, my lima beans are planted close and they like lime beans (as much as me)!!

Suggestions? I'm not entirely opposted to poisons, but I'd prefer to use them as a last resort.

Thanks,
Cassandra

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First, are you sure they're really *bothering* the plants -- well obviously of course htey're eating little holes in the leaves, but is the damage so severe that the plant is suffering. Places I've lived where I've had flea beetle problems (OH, NC) they haven't really been that much of a PROBLEM as such, they just uglify the plants.

I am hoping that the same is true for you, because they are incredibly difficult to do much about because they are SO mobile. They just jump/fall off the plant with the slightest disturbance, and jump back on as soon as your back is turned :p Nothing without strong residual action is going to have much of an effect. If you really have to, you might try hosing or soaping the plants real good and immediately putting on floating row covers... but I dunno.

Hopefully though they're just a cosmetic issue and are not so severe that they'll affect your harvest. Plants can put up with a surprising amount of damage sometimes ;)

Good luck,

Pat

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Pat. And that was pretty much my question--though I know I didn't ask it property (in retrospect.)

I can live with them being on the leaves. I'm not going to be as compassionate if they start eating my beans and eggplants, or killing the plants.

I planted four eggplant plants. I have never grown them before and I'm not quite sure how to treat them. I do want them to feel at home.

:)

Cassandra

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Cassandra. My neighbor used to grow eggplant and she insisted that the plants would not produce any fruit unless you left the plants alone (meaning no brushing against them, or bumping them or anything like that). I personally have never grown them. Good luck.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I can sure do that, aquarose! :D

Sounds like the golden rule to me and I am all for it:

You don't bother me. I don't bother you.
You give me some eggplants. I give you some water.
You keep your flea beetle pets off me. I keep my chicken pets off you.

Awesome.

Cassandra