Floating beds

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does anyone here use floating "tobacco trays" to start plants? I have played with it a little this year and things have grown great, but then they all just die. I am wondering if it is root rot from being wet all the time or what the problem is. :hu I have not been but about 20% successful on starting my own plants this year and I am really starting to wonder if it is even worth the effort.:he Any thoughts?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am doing serious seed starter this year. In the past, I have had very good luck with cold frames, outside. I highly recommend this method- I use old windows over boxes of any sort. This year, I even used wooden drawers with windows over them. That being said, I started over 200 tomatoes inside. I used the little trays, organic seed starter and lights - even a heater in the room. The results are bad and disappointing! I don't know what else I could have done. I read at least 20 different articles about using ordinary bulbs vs. grow lights. Tons of people said ordinary are fine- so that is what I used. Maybe that was the problem. Now, I am going to very quickly build a giant coldframe and try to save at least some of the seedlings... I wish I lived somewhere with a longer growing season!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
Does anyone here use floating "tobacco trays" to start plants? I have played with it a little this year and things have grown great, but then they all just die. I am wondering if it is root rot from being wet all the time or what the problem is.
I'm not sure what you're talking about ("tobacco trays"?) but if the bottom of the pots/trays is continually sitting in a pool of water then yes that would make he soil too sodden for plants. You need to let them soak up as much water as they need for an hr or so and then let them sit on something dry the rest of the time (e.g. empty any remaining water out of the tray they are resting on, or whatever). Is that at all relevant to your setup?

Good luck,

Pat

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
These are trays that are made out of styrofoam. When you plant them there is a hole in the bottom of each slot and for water access to the dirt and the roots often grow through them to get to the water. Most people that start tobacco plants grow them this way. Upon looking into it a little further I am finding out that alot of my problem is caused by lack of significant air flow in my hot room.

Latest posts