Floors from Hell

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband and I decided a couple of months ago to replace the 25+ year old floors in our home with clean, new tile in anticipation of the baby. To save money, we decided to do it ourselves, since tiling is not all that hard and we have all the equipment.

The living room area went smooth as glass, we had it done in a week, working only at nights and when we had the time. The rest of the floors are free floating linoleum, so figured a couple more weeks to get that lifted up no problem, right?

Wrong.

The previous owner of the house had glued it together and to the floor, making it insanely difficult to get up. When we finally managed to pry that up, what did we find under there?! Another floor. This one nailed in, and who ever nailed it took a nail gun and went machine gun style across the floor, so each panel had a nail virtually every inch.

Days upon days of prying, cursing, and sweating later it comes up and...you guessed it. There's another floor under the floor, under the floor. At this point I had a bit of a tantrum. >_> At least this one was nailed properly, and I could crawl under the house and bang up the nails without too much trouble.

With just 3 weeks left before the baby is born, all of my husbands buds show up to help get the floor done AT LAST this weekend. Cheering wildly (cause I don't have to work on it if they are here) I toddle off to get snacks and drinks for the boys.

You know this doesn't end with the floors being finished.

I come back to find all the boys in full battle mode, holding cans of bee spray and looking VERY alarmed. Apparently one of the sub floor boards rotted, needing replaced. My father in law put his hammer through the floor, and out swarmed hundreds of hornets. Everyone got stung, including the dogs.

The whole day was spent replacing the one floor board and killing all the bees. I am still walking on sub floors and currently have no counters, no kitchen sink, and it's an easter egg hunt to find food/etc. x.x

3 weeks left, and I work for most of them. Sure hope we can get it done!!

(Also glad I missed the bees. Sorry boys!)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm just hoping it will be done by then. Every time I think, "Well now we're at the easy part," we're not. x.x

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry, but I had to laugh at the floor layers. I really busted out laughing at the mental picture of a bunch of he-man guys scrambling to get away from hornets! Probably not funny to them, but safely in my recliner, it sure is funny!

Don’t worry. It will get done before the baby comes or it won’t. Either way, you have a beautiful baby coming your way, floor or no floor. Big hugs.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh the fun of the third trimester of a pregnancy! :barnie:ep:hit

and during the hottest part of the year... eek!

aside from that. if the floor was sound (note that a rotting board subfloor isn't a good sign and would need to be done no matter what, but you should be able to see that from below...)

anyways, often not a good idea to take up some old floors (especially if they contain asbestos), and many times it is much easier to level it off using underlayment (thin plywood) and then put tile on top of that, but this is a hard tile floor which i'd never do on a wood floor with joists underneath no matter what - flexible grout or not, i just don't trust any of it). that's just me... i'm very picky...

good luck.

i'd have put the cheapest laminate flooring i could find that had recommendations from people who have dogs/family...

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Laminate flooring will not work for dogs once scratched nothing will fix ,do not use you will regret. Hardwood can be sanded and refinished. With animals tile is the way to go last forever cleans easy. The tile floor in my avatar still looks like it did when new almost 20 years ago. I did hire a professional to lay it, I cried when I got his bill but in long run think it worth it

Latest posts