Food, It's for Life

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
“The idea of food as medicine is not only an idea whose time has come,” says Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and the dean of the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University. “It’s an idea that’s absolutely essential to our health care system."

Time

A good and adequate diet is something that we absolutely need to keep in the forefront of our thinking with every meal. It is essential.

I really want to hold up a neighbor as an example. He is a young guy with 2 very young children, toddlers. He is obviously going through a difficult time after buying the house across the road and moving in just a few years ago. Work and marriage problems.

His father visited not long ago. The guy is only about 60 but so heavy that he can hardly move around. His condition must require minute by minute attention, not just a morning glance in the mirror or when he puts his pants on.

I've watched the son put on probably way more than 50# in the 4 years that he has been a neighbor. Strong kid but he can't handle about a 20# per year weight gain.

Ya know, a vegetable like lettuce has so few calories that a person would starve in a very short time if that was all there was to eat. Humans just do not have the capacity to get enough calories from a food like lettuce. It's easy to reduce daily calories with vegetables. They need only make up a part of the diet, a healthy part. And, it should be a part that commands daily attention.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must have completely missed this when it was on the Public Broadcasting System, 3 years ago.

Food: Delicious Science

You can do a search with that title. It's a 3 episode miniseries, I guess. I just saw a show. But, it is also on Amazon Prime and pay YouTube. I can watch it through my library service.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
And there is so much research now regarding gut health, maybe one day we will get the message that "you are what you eat"

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am glad that people are becoming more aware of how our lifestyle has such an impact on our overall health. I am reading the book " depression: a way out" and the author who is a doctor quotes a study that states that increase calorie intake leads to dementia as we age. This really shocked me because I knew increase weight can cause diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attacks, ect but that it effects memory! I am becoming much more aware of what I eat and what I cook for my family. Gardening helps with thinking outside the box sometimes!

Latest posts