Footsteps in the Attic

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night a friend and I where enjoying a glass of wine. We started hearing sounds from the ceiling, sounded like something heavy walking across the attic floor. Being made brave by the wine we went up into the attic. I had moved everthing out of attic when the new roof went on, didn't realy move anything back. Empty attic found nothing, went back down for more wine, half hour noise started again.We went back up and again found nothing. I am sure it is much heavier then a rat or squirrel, thinking raccoon. I am worried about chewed eletrical wires. I am only at this house a few nights a month, so havahart trap out.I would put out rat poison but worry about smell of something as big as a raccoon. Is there a poison that embalms the body so no smell? I know some people are agaist the use of poison sorry fire risk outweighs not getting rid of guest.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, do you know of any openings in your house or attic that would be big enough to admit a raccoon or possum? I know squirrels can make a lot of noise running around, but just walking, I would think they would not be heard. A raccoon, questionable.
Have you considered ghosts?
Also, are there exhaust pipes going through the attic? Could they be heating and cooling, making popping or thumping noises? Our 40 year old house makes horrible noises, rhythmic ticking sounds from windows heating in the sun, shotgun loud pops as the front window cools down in the afternoon, groaning and creaking in the basement caused by....????

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're very brave. I certainly wouldn't be going up there without some holy water and an iron cross! :hide

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Old houses make noises. My not very old house makes noises, especially at night when I'm alone. When it's very cold the siding contracts and sounds like somebody bumping around against it, and the stovepipe makes quiet popping sounds when the fire is dying down, just enough to startle me if the tv is off.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was the wind blowing? Maybe your resident Yetti didn't wan tot go out if the wind was strong because it would mess up her perm?

Yeah houses make noises, either from wind or heating and cooling. Some can even sound like walking. I'd search for openings a raccoon, possum, or something like that could come in. I'd also look around for a nest or poop.

I suggest a raccoon-sized live trap. Bait it with peanut butter. Just take a small spoonful, wad it up in a piece of paper towel, and put that in the trap. There may be better raccoon baits, but I've caught several raccoons with peanut butter. Peanut butter is pretty much a universal bait. It will catch many things other than raccoons and you don't know what it is. Besides, I always have peanut butter handy.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The whole roof was ripped off and a new one put on there better not be anyholes. Going back up tonight will look for holes. This was a noise I never heard before, I know all of the old house noises this was diffent.If it is a yetti he better fork over some rent!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a thought....( I'm only allowed one) , when your new roof was installed, did they add any wood to the framing? Sometimes wood takes some time to adjust, and the temperature variations in the winter could be causing it to flex and contract....?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never heard of you mentioning a cat.My cats are around 12 lbs. and are barn cats that sneek in when it's cold. They have scared the crap out of me a couple of times walking down the stairs and sounding as loud as a grown person. I would put out the trap when you are there so some poor animal doesn't die a slow death. Or I would opt for poison. It may die and leave a horrible smell.