found in oak tree leaves

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some friends and I were cutting down and/or pruning some trees this weekend and I found this tiny little guy in the leaves under an oak tree. It's about 3" tall - in a mostly shaded area - poor-ish soil. The flash washed out the color - there is a bit of yellow in the middle of the flower.
Any ideas???
I'd LOVE to move it to a place where it can be enjoyed.

6.11.16.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cimaphila maculata (spotted wintergreen). I've never seen it bloom before. How pretty! I think it may be rare.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I could find says that it is VERY sensitive to having it's roots disturbed..
So perhaps it will spread enough that the area around that tree can become a flower bed on it's own.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would try for some seeds. That way you can perhaps get a stand started where you want and can protect them.

They are so beautiful and pure. I'd never seen any like that before. Thanks for sharing the photo.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a pretty plant, good for you for seeing it, and in bloom even!
Thanks. It was pretty funny. My friend and I were stomping all around the tree using the pole saw and catching/dragging branches and I stopped, looked at the ground and said "Well hello there little guy! What are you?" I thought she was going to vault over the fence before she realized I wasn't talking to some little critter.
:gig