Freakin' deer are eating my mcintosh apples!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It depends entirely on how many fruit trees your neighbor has planted, I'm sorry to say.

Apples in particular are like Stolichnaya for deer. The apples ferment in their stomachs and make them drunk. I am serious, the commercial apple orchards tend to find alcohol-poisoned deer staggering around them.

I tried everything: predator urine spray, human hair, soap, cheap wire "deer fencing". Did not work, my orchard was defoliated four times over and only now, two years post-fence, is starting to recover. I had to re-plant about 2/3 of the trees. Since that was about 20 trees, not cheap.

$3000, a solid 6' stockade fence and a Great Pyrenees later, the deer stay out of my yard or become venison. Not half a mile down the road, I have multiple neighbors with fruit trees, and they say they only get a nibble here and there--because the deer can sample a bit from every tree and so never do much damage to any single tree. Whereas at my house, there's not another fruit tree for 500 yards, so they pig out.

Latest posts