Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a lot of tomato, peppers, watermelon, cantaloupe and various other melon seeds, Lettuce, various root crops, cucumber, squash, beans and many other seeds. I have one corn seed and that is "japonica maze", it has dark ruby seeds and the leaves are green white and pink it is a very ornamental corn and a few would look good in the background of your flower bed. I only have one request if you get some seeds from me I ask that you save some seeds from your plant and send them back to me. I do this in order to strengthen my seed stock and I love giving seeds away. All of my seeds are OP (no hybrids) and I will mail the seeds to you free of charge. However the seeds will be a sample size but enough for 4 plants ie; tomato and pepper plants or enough for a 25 ft row. The japonica maze will be enough for four 25ft rows. Just PM me and let me know what you are looking for. If anyone is interested in being a grow out grower for me, please let me know because that will be much different from just getting some seeds. I need to renew some of my seed collection but I can't do them all myself. I look forward to hearing from you .

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have not had a chance to grow a lot of different beans. I have grown Ireland Creek annie, red swan, purple royalty, orca, black turtle, lisco, painted pony, tiger eye, Jacobson lima bean and there's a few others that I can't remember. I have several that I have not got a chance to grow but I have the seed in storage. I am limited on what I grow because I donate all my produce to a local food bank, so I coordinate with them on what they need. I am going to try to open up a new garden this year for just trial and seed production. Beans are what I am trying to increase my inventory of. Another is corn but since I live in rural Indiana, I am limited to growing corn when no other farmers are growing corn near me. I try not to plant corn if there is field corn within 2 miles in any direction. If you are in to beans, I probably don't have anything that you already have.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wish there was a way to help you, but I'm in over my head this year. My family Cantaloupe needs growing out. I'm growing several rare beans and cowpeas. I'm trying to stabilize a dwarf Okra, and I have close to 200 tomato plants of 62 varieties.

Corn is always out of the question. I am in the middle of no-where, but Corn is grown for miles around me. There is also a 300 acre farm right across the road from my small 50 acre farm and he grows corn, corn, and more corn.

I might could help in the fall.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I completely understand. I did a small advertisement in my local paper but I didn't get one response. I don't think people understand the importance of growing and saving rare seeds. I am growing out a watermelon that I got from seed savers exchange member. It is a stabilized cross of orangeglo watermelon and something else. He didn't tell me what melon he crossed it with but it is supposed to be a short season, orange flesh watermelon. I am hoping that I find a local person within the city limits to grow out some corn for me. That is the easiest way to keep it isolated for me. We added another beehive to help with pollinating our melons. We found a really nice apple tree growing at our neighbors house and before they cut it down we grafted two whips to dwarf rootstock. The tree turned out to be around 70 years old, +/- a few years. We had to get a professional arborist to help us count the rings. I am not completely sure of his count because it doesn't match the history of the house but we like the apples and the trees are 4 years old now. We are hoping for some fruit this year.
The dwarf okra sounds interesting. Will it be a shorter season okra? We have a pretty long growing season where we are at in Indiana but we don't always get real warm but my youngest son loves fried okra. Keep me in mind when you get it stable.
I canceled my only breeding project because I have to have surgery next week and I don't know how well I will be able to get around afterwards.
I love natural dwarf fruits and vegetables and I was going to cross an orange flesh watermelon with "early moonbeam". I want an orange flesh "icebox" watermelon that is only 3-6 pounds. Maybe next year

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not had a chance to grow a lot of different beans. I have grown Ireland Creek annie, red swan, purple royalty, orca, black turtle, lisco, painted pony, tiger eye, Jacobson lima bean and there's a few others that I can't remember. I have several that I have not got a chance to grow but I have the seed in storage. I am limited on what I grow because I donate all my produce to a local food bank, so I coordinate with them on what they need. I am going to try to open up a new garden this year for just trial and seed production. Beans are what I am trying to increase my inventory of. Another is corn but since I live in rural Indiana, I am limited to growing corn when no other farmers are growing corn near me. I try not to plant corn if there is field corn within 2 miles in any direction. If you are in to beans, I probably don't have anything that you already have.

i wasn't able to come up with anything for lisco or Jacobson lima bean, but the rest i have or can find information which helps me out. a few look/sound similar to what i've already seen here in crosses so i will pass on them for now until i see what the crosses i already have end up doing.

there's a lot of varieties out there. :)

Last edited:

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think you're right, @Todd Ziegler. Gardeners are diminishing around my area. You used to see gardens everywhere around my area. My wife and I were talking last week about this very subject.

I think the orange and moonbeam cross would be neat too. I used to grow only sugar baby because when I was a very young lad, I was introduced to them by an elderly man in town that raised them. Nice memories.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i wasn't able to come up with anything for lisco or Jacobson lima bean, but the rest i have or can find information which helps me out. a few look/sound similar to what i've already seen here in crosses so i will pass on them for now until i see what the crosses i already have end up doing.

there's a lot of varieties out there. :)
I got the lisco from seed savers exchange and I think the actual name is "liscos bird egg", if you go to SSE website you will find it but I will send you the seed I grew if you want some. The Jacobson came from Baker Creek seeds. I have so many seeds that I can't remember all of the names, sorry lol.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think you're right, @Todd Ziegler. Gardeners are diminishing around my area. You used to see gardens everywhere around my area. My wife and I were talking last week about this very subject.

I think the orange and moonbeam cross would be neat too. I used to grow only sugar baby because when I was a very young lad, I was introduced to them by an elderly man in town that raised them. Nice memories.
I have been gardening since I was 6 years old. My grandmother always helped me plant a small garden inside hers and encouraged me to save the seed. I have been trying to encourage more people to garden and doing it by example but it is just to easy to go to Walmart
Orangeglo is one of my top 3 favorite watermelons and the early moonbeam did great in my area but it didn't have the natural sweetness of orangeglo but it had the size and short growing season I wanted. I also thought that I would get closer to an orange flesh with moonbeam than I would with a red flesh watermelon cross. I only have one successful breeding project and that was a tomato but I didn't do any actual breeding. I just selected a tomato from a variety that a distant cousin in IL created in the late 30's early 40's and kept re-selecting until I stabilized a new strain.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the lisco from seed savers exchange and I think the actual name is "liscos bird egg", if you go to SSE website you will find it but I will send you the seed I grew if you want some. The Jacobson came from Baker Creek seeds. I have so many seeds that I can't remember all of the names, sorry lol.

it is ok, i surely understand, i have many hundreds of selections and crosses that i've not even bothered to name (need to grow them out until i have an idea of what they are like and if they're stable or not)

thanks, no luck on the Baker Creek search for Jacobson, but the Lisco came up and i was able to see pictures. i have close to those in the variety called Etna and also just the general cranberry type beans so i will pass on those.

Latest posts