Freezing Peas

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I blanch peas for about 1 minute 45 seconds, including ice water bath, then freeze them in vacuum bags in serving size. That's much better quality than canned. Canned peas are way too mushy. My book says to blanch them for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes so I split the difference.

With the last picking, which usually comes when I pull the vines out of the garden I blanch those but just freeze them in a large zip-lok. Those are les quality than the ones picked on time so those go into soup where they will be cooked to death in the canning process.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a surplus, too! Now the vines up and died in less than a week. :( We will try planting another crop. But I did freeze some following the same directions Ridgerunner gave. Hope they are as good a he says they will be. ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I very much agree!

Frozen peas are good. And, I suppose that the blanch/ice time would be about the same for snap peas and they are good. Snow peas really should be eaten fresh. Freezing just is too much for them.

Keep in mind that my experience with canned peas is from a can. My attitude towards them is beyond simple dislike!

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks @Ridgerunner! I know where I'll be for the remainder of the day - picking and freezing peas.

I agree store-bought canned anything isn't good, canned spinach has to be the worst (haven't tried canned peas, used to fresh or store-bought frozen).